where is my product key located? (2200 Views)
SSB Student
Student
SSB
Message 1 of 2 (2,200 Views)

where is my product key located?

windows 7 was preinstalled when I purchased my compaq presario CQ61 on 11/9/09. I dont' remember activating the windows 7 then, as preinstalled assumed it was automatic. Recently getting a message saying my windows is not genuine. My computer tells me need to activate windows. Tried to do this, but cant locate my product key. Used magicjelly bean to locate it from registry. entered product key found. didn't work. Have found out activation needs to happen within 30 days of purchase, why didn't this message come up after 30 days, its come up 20 months after purchase!!!! I did a system restore and the message seems to have gone for now..... System properties on my pc still tells me i need to activate windows...... How can you first, find your product key, and second, activate windows, well after the 30 day period?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (2,197 Views)

Re: where is my product key located?

Hi,

Your product key should be on a label on the underside of your notebook - just to be confusing, the key you extracted with Magical Jelly Bean is probably what will show on the sticker, however a different 'Mass License' key was probably used to activate your OS.

Anyway, more importantly, follow the guide on the link below to activate your Windows 7 installation over the phone - this usually works well for this situation.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation