Question

Student
jawint
Message 1 of 8 (19,176 Views)

why does my screen say this copy of windows is not genuine windows 7 Build 7601

After 3 years I get message in lower right hand corner of screen.

This copy of windows in not genuine.  Windows 7 Build 7601

Microsoft was me to buy Window 7 again  when it was installed when I bought computer

Top Student
shahil_ghoorun
Message 2 of 8 (19,168 Views)

Re: why does my screen say this copy of windows is not genuine windows 7 Build 7601

hi

i had a very similar error.

i have the hp dv 7 notebook.

my notebook seems to have given an error saying the version of windows was not genuine - this was a window that popped up.

then a day later the notebook does not start normally, it tries starting, then i get a blue screen, then it launches startup repair, which cannot repair the system. then after all that time, the system restarts, and then loads normally.

its really disappointing to have this happen.

i am constantly stressed that the next start up will fail.

if you have any feedback on this, please share

regards

shahil

Top Student
TheSavage0ne
Message 3 of 8 (19,158 Views)

Re: why does my screen say this copy of windows is not genuine windows 7 Build 7601

I have gotten this message about 3 times, after having my pc for about 5 years. I'm not sure what causes it, but just reverify it and it will go away :smileyhappy:
Student
jwint
Message 4 of 8 (19,145 Views)

What do you when the code if wore off of the tag??   all I have is the oem number from HP and thad does not work

with Microsoft

Top Student
TheSavage0ne
Message 5 of 8 (19,134 Views)

[ Edited ]

Don't worry, my sticker is illegible also. you should be able to click on the start button (bottom left on taskbar, where you go to shut the pc down) then right click computer, then click properties. on the bottom it will tell you that the copy of windows is not genuine, and that you can follow a link to authenticate it. just do this and follow its steps and it will fix itself.

Student
Monin55
Message 6 of 8 (15,619 Views)

I had this problem too,but seriously is confusing when Microsoft ask you to supply a different Key. Or buy a new one
I went to " my computer,right click to go to "properties " and I found " that I needed to activate the product,so I follow the link and shows 3 options1-purchase a new key 2- type in a different key 3- contact Dell,where I bought wind 7 from.
I typed the exact key product and verified and is validate now,no more messages
So guys,not need to buy a wind7 again or it's key,don't fall for it!!!!
HP Support Agent
Waterboy71
Message 7 of 8 (15,607 Views)

Hi Moninn55,

I have done some research for you and I have come across a very good video that will give you step by step instructions on how to get rid of the “Windows in not Genuine” error. Pleas click on the following link and it will take you right to the video to resolve your issue.

http://goo.gl/kcxHOo

Anyone else that is having these issues, please feel free to use the link that I have provided as well.

Thank you

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
esternullo
Message 8 of 8 (11,951 Views)

Is there any way to resolve this that doesn't involve generating new, annoying popups whenever I open a Windows app.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation