Question

Student
xxsantinibabixx
Message 1 of 11 (16,496 Views)

wont get past "configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0%" and wont let me log into computer..HELP!!!

[ Edited ]

the screen i getheres a picture of the screen i keep getting.

-HP Pavilion dv6700 as you can see its home premium

i kept getting a vista spyware alert saying i had 34 infected files and wouldn't stop and i also tried updating some things on my laptop while i updated to the new internet explorer 9. around 12noon today i rebooted my laptop to get all the updates to work and i got this configuring updates screen and was like ok. it kept going. it does it for a while, shuts down and restarts and goes back i didnt think anything was wrong made it to stage 3 and wont stop and move on from 0%. its now 10pm and its been doing it all day. ive tried shutting it down and rebooting myself but no matter what i do, it wont let me access my computer to do anything. i have avast virus protection but it said it was unable to move viruses to chest i pressed repair and it said it was postponed until next reboot so i did it this morning and figured its taking so long maybe because its trying to repair them but im sure it doesnt take 10 hours...im extremely upset. someone please help. and also, anyone know how i can get the viruses out? i dont have money for a better protection right now so im using my moms computer but she works on it so its hard. hp said they cant help because my warrenty is up, was a 1 year warrenty, got laptop in 2008 and warrenty expired in 2009. please help me.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 11 (16,483 Views)

Re: wont get past "configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0%" and wont let me log into computer.

After installing updates from Windows Update, you may get into a Reboot loop where you machines gets to “configuring updates 3 of 3. x% complete” then freezes or reboots.
Solution: 

1a. Boot from the Windows System Repair Disc and choose the repair option in the lower left hand corner, choose System Restore, and select a Restore Point predating the attempted installation of the updates.

1b. If you don't have the DVD and the Vista/W7 came preinstalled on the machine, boot to the Recovery Environment using F8 at the HP logo during boot, choose "repair your computer" from the list, let RE load and do a system restore from there.

If restore fails, load the recovery environment command prompt and enter:

Del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

exit recovery environment and restart the pc, you may get 3 of 3 again but be patient, the desktop should load. Create a manual restore point and Turn off Windows  Automatic updates until you can figure out which update caused the loop.

If you get it booting again:

You may be infected

Follow the order given below to disinfect your PC

1.) On a PC that is Not infected, Make a boot AV disc then boot from the disc on the Infected PC and scan the hard drive, remove any infections it finds, I prefer the Kaspersky disc myself. The New 2010 Kaspersky disc can update the AV dat files if you are connected to the internet at the time of scan and is suggested to update before the scan.

2.) Then boot into Windows:

Install free MBAM, run the program and go to the Update tab and update it, then go to the Scanner Tab and do a quick scan, select and remove anything it finds.

3.) When MBAM is done install SAS free version, run a quick scan, remove what it automatically selects.

These last 2 are not AV softwares like regular Anti Virus Software, they are on demand scanners that only scan for nasties when you run the program and will not interfere with your installed AV, these can be run once a day or week to ensure you are not infected. Be sure you update them before each daily-weekly scan.

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 3 of 11 (16,237 Views)

Re: wont get past "configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0%" and wont let me log into computer.

Response from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Associate Dean
REO51ST
Message 4 of 11 (16,230 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mum's got it.

Had to do this one time. "No restore points"

1. Boot the computer into the “Safe Mode” options by pressing F8 prior the Windows Logo.
2. Select the option “Repair Your Computer”
Note: If you do not have this option, you will need the client’s Windows Disc. Once you have that disc, boot into it as if you were to install windows and after you select the language you will get the “Repair Your Computer” option.
3. Now you can get into Command Prompt
4. From the Command Prompt window, navigate to \Windows\winsxs folder
5. Then type: rename pending.xml pending.old.xml
6. Now reboot the PC, you might still see the configuring updates, but this time it will go away.

Let us know if it helps.

We at the HP forum try to make your HP experience the best.

****Click the Thumbs up to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

HP Expert Tester "Now testing HP Pavilion 15t i3-4030U Win8.1, 6GB RAM and 750GB HDD"
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Registered Microsoft Partner
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician Certification in progress.
Student
AdV1
Message 5 of 11 (9,880 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for posting this, Mumbodog. It enabled me to fix my husband's laptop, thus saving us in excess of £100.

Student
donpati
Message 6 of 11 (6,063 Views)

I  tried updating some things on my laptop . I rebooted my laptop to get all the updates and I got this configuring updates that keeps saying  "configuring updates.stage 3 of 3-0% complete"  on the  screen . it restarts and keeps repeating this . It does"configuring updates.stage 3 of 3-0% complete"  for a while, shuts down and restarts and goes back.  I've tried shutting it down and rebooting myself but no matter what I do, it wont let me access my computer desktop. Thanks for any help.

Associate Dean
REO51ST
Message 7 of 11 (6,049 Views)

Don.

Read my response above.

REO

HP Expert Tester "Now testing HP Pavilion 15t i3-4030U Win8.1, 6GB RAM and 750GB HDD"
Student
Kenny01
Message 8 of 11 (5,743 Views)

Thank YOU!!!!!!!!!

Honor Student
jeannie500
Message 9 of 11 (5,423 Views)

Hi I have the same problem. I went to the command prompt and put in del c:\windows\winsxs\pending.xml and came out of that.I restarted computer and nows says configuring updates 3 x 3 0% (was 100% before) but again wont go past this.

I tried to follow your advice but don't know how to navigate to |windows|winsxs folder.

I can get as far as the command prompt and it says x :\windows\system32>

how do i get to the folder you mention.

hope you can help me , I am desperate now. thanks

Associate Dean
REO51ST
Message 10 of 11 (5,417 Views)

Jeannie.

When you get to the command prompt type "  Del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml   "

Let us know if that works.

REO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation