Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I  have an Photosmart 3210xi and get an 0xc05d0281 error. I've tried to uninstall / reinstall the software and drivers, also the fix posted re pulling out the toner cartridges, poweing off erc, and have gone into the "print test" menu and done the Nozzle test. None of these work. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Open the mid chassis like you are going to replace the pens (ink cartridge to the rest of the world). On the left side of the PHA (print head assembly) is a black lever about 2" long next to a white gear with a tab on the side of it. The tab on the side of the gear needs to be INSIDE the slot that runs the length of the black arm. If it somehow pops out the pump motor will stall, giving this error. Rotate the gear so the tab is close to the end of the lever (rear of printer) and GENTLY pop it back into the slot on the inside of the lever.

This took me about 30 seconds and my printer works again.

BTW, I work at HP in San Diego.

HP Recommended

hi my hp photosmart is in deutch language can i change it to english?

HP Recommended

Hi wamahium,

What Photosmart printer do you have?  

HP Recommended

I have HP Photosmart C7183 and I'm keep on getting the 0xc05d0281 error whenever turning it on.

HP Recommended

Hi moshea,

I would take a look at the document below.

Alphanumeric error

Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much "Uncle Terry" - you saved me tons of aggravation!

After searching the forums and following other directions to reset the printer by turning it off etc, I found your post, it made sense to me, and it worked!

A couple notes....I have a Photosmart 8250 and you have to lift up the outer cover (which you do to replace the inks), and then a second cover which gives you access to the inner part of the printer. Then the lever is on the right side, rather than the left.

Thank you again!!

HP Recommended

You are a great. Getting ready to toss this printer in the junk. Tried everything - until I saw your post. Took about 30 sec to fix my printer. Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.