Question

Honor Student
ivancat
Message 1 of 2 (2,341 Views)

4200n printer driver 'ghosts' in windows 7, cannot delete devices.

The printers that will not die!  sounds like a bad horror movie.

so I've got this workhorse 4200n, (one of the greatest printers ever!) with stacker and duplex, extra tray.  changed to Windows 7 and had to go through a bit of trial and error to figure out which driver works.  in the end the Universal PCL 6 did the trick.

here's the prob, to find out which driver works, i installed several that did not and deleted them from 'devices and printers', but they won't stay deleted.  after a restart, all the previous drivers reappear as printer devices, with little yellow exclamation-point warning signs.  they don't work.  they clutter the window, and the worst part is, they make the proper driver cease to function after a restart.  

the 'undead' printer devices also are hogging the network ports.  i suspect that is the reason I can't use the proper driver, because it is now assigned to 192.168.10.34_4 

i've tried to delete the ports with ghost printers, but get message that 'requested resource is in use".

my only workaround now is to reinstall a new version of the proper driver every restart.  and I suspect that's just making matters more muddled as far as the ports are concerned.

if anyone can tell me how to get rid of these ghost drivers, you will be my hero.

:smileyhappy:

Ivan

Honor Student
ivancat
Message 2 of 2 (2,298 Views)

solved the 'ghost' part of the problem

Okay, so the 'ghosts' appear because deleted printers retain unprinted documents in their queues.    Those documents must be removed by right clicking and 'see what's printing' on the printer device in Devices and Printers control panel.  after that, the deleted printers stay deleted after reboot.

I also right clicked on the print device and went into 'printer properties',(NOT the properties at the bottom of the menu).  I went to the Ports tab and deleted all the ports that had the ghost printers still on them.  

still working on the printer going offline on restart...

:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation