6310 not printing every line of text (8925 Views)
Student
timlanz
Message 1 of 3 (8,925 Views)

6310 not printing every line of text

Hello.  I searched the forum and found no previous post for this problem, so am hoping someone can help.  I have a Officejet 6310 All-In-One that is leaving out lines of text when I print documents form my HP Pavilion a172n running Vista.  This problem just started happening.  The fax and copy modes seem to work fine.  I've tried printing Word documents and e-mails and the printout is either skipping lines (every other one pretty much) or is only printing about the top 1/64th of every other line.  No clue.  Any help would be appreciated.  This problem does not seem to be addressed on the Tech Support website for this product.

Thanks

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (8,897 Views)

Re: 6310 not printing every line of text

It sounds like your black cartridge is low on ink.  It is also possible that the electrical contacts are not making good connection.  I would suggest checking the ink levels from the toolbox.  If this is OK then try cleaning the cartrdige contacts as shown here (for a different cartrdige family, but the same principles applly).

If cleaning the cartridge contacts does not help then try printing in "Best mode".  If this corrects the problem it would be an indication that the cartrdige was at fault and a replacement should cure the issue.  (The copy and fax modes typically use a print mode that goes over each part of the paper with several passes, while printing black text is usually done with a single pass.  If there are certain electrical issues with the cartrdige only 1/2 of the swath will be printed.  In the copy and fax modes or best modes this will be filled in on a later pass, but for normal text printing this would give the result you see.)

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Top Student
techgurl
Message 3 of 3 (8,939 Views)

Re: 6310 not printing every line of text

" The fax and copy modes seem to work fine."

If you mean that when you tried to make a copy of the document and it makes a good copy then I'd say its a driver issue. Try going to control panel and look for printers or printers and faxes. A new screen will open where it will show all the printers installed. Right click on the 6310 printer and click properties and try to print a test page. If it prints fine, try printing from notepad. Notepad is a built in application. If it prints fine, you may have some settings issue on the the doc or email you tried to print. If Windows test page doesn't look good then definitely its a driver issue. Disconnect the usb from the printer. You can delete the printer icon ( make sure there is no pending doc in queue first) then click file and server properties and click on the driver tab and remove the officejet driver from there or if you have windows vista, right click on anywhere of the screen in the printer folder and click on run as administrator. restart your computer and load the software/driver again. Click on add a device this time so that another printer icon will be created.

well, this is in case copying works fine. Good Luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation