Question

Honor Student
Hotshoe
Message 1 of 15 (16,622 Views)

7410 printer carriage jam error message HELP

I have a 2 year old 7410 printer (wireless network, one Windows XP and two Vista computers) that is displaying a "carriage jam, clear paper" error message.  The error message first appeared 2 days ago while it was NOT being used and it has not worked since.  I have gone through all the manual and HP online trouble shooting procedures as well as a telephone consultation with a HP "technician" who tried to sell me a new 7780 after reading through the website trouble shooting script I had already been through on my own (thanks alot).  I'm reasonably sure there is no paper anywhere inside the machine unless it's in some inaccessible corner I can't find.  Since the message appeared while the machine was in standby mode, I suspect there's something else going on besides a paper jam, any suggestions out there?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 15 (16,695 Views)

Re: 7410 printer carriage jam error message HELP

[ Edited ]

A carriage jam is different than a paper jam.  I would try the following: turn on the printer.  Open the lid and wait for the service station movements to stop.  Now pull the power plug to the printer.  Next grasp the carriage and move it gently back and forth.  If there are no obstructions then clean the encoder strip as described in this procedure.  If there is an obstruction carefully free the carriage, then plug the printer back in and close the lid.

(After writing the above I found this page, step 4 would be my best guess based on your symptom.)

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Message Edited by Bob_Headrick on 02-27-2009 01:12 PM

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Hotshoe
Message 3 of 15 (16,684 Views)

Thanks for your reply Bob,

There is a carriage obstruction, I can only move it about 1 1/2 inches from it's rest position on the extreme right side of the printer before it hits something that I cannot access or even see behind the carriage.  I wasn't sure if that was the problem so I've tried all the other self-help steps including the ones you referenced about cleaning the tape and the bent bias spring (they are not bent).  I've been trying to find the carriage obstruction without disassembling the carriage unit but that will be my next step without some other success soon, any suggestions?

Regards, Chuck Wineinger 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 15 (16,643 Views)

I got a chance to poke around in my Officejet 7410 a bit looking for  candidates to cause a jam at 1.5".   The likely suspect is a metal tab that holds the flex cable in place.  If it were bent slightly it could catch, causing the jam.  I attached a picture here, the area I am thinking of is marked with the blue arrow.  Click on the attachment to open the picture.

With the lid open and the carriage in its home position you should be just able to see the end of the bracket and may be able to determine if this is the issue.  If it is you should be able to press it back and out of the way with a popcicle stick of perhaps a plastic table knife.  Be careful not to damage the flex cable.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
Hotshoe
Message 5 of 15 (16,612 Views)

Thank you for the photo, it let's me see the area that's blocked by the jammed carriage.  The tab you highlighted doesn't appear to be the problem as it's not bent and there's no indication of any impact from the carriage.  My best guess is that the obstruction is somewhere around the bottom of the carriage because of the way it feels when it hits the obstruction.  I've installed my backup printer temporarily so the pressure is off as far as needing an immediate solution so I'll continue to play with it for a little while.

Thanks again, Chuck      

Student
ReneGnam
Message 6 of 15 (15,338 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have HOTSHOE's problem too...but slightly different.

My 7410 had a paper jam. I corrected it from the rear door. Then the display flashed "carriage jam". I manually moved the print cartridge assembly to the right, but it wouldn't move back to the left. I have reset the cartridges, reloaded the paper, reexamined everything and viewed the referenced pages in this thread...all to no avail. The carriage remains at the right. I can manually move it 1" to the left and it stops as though there's a guard impeding it.

I've gone through the manual, checked all I can find online, gone through the on-and-off routines and unplug-and-replug efforts, and am stymied. There are no loose bits of paper or plastic anywhere that I can see.

So, what do I do now? I'd greatly appreciate some help on this.

Message Edited by ReneGnam on 07-27-2009 07:54 AM
Message Edited by WendyM on 07-27-2009 08:42 AM
Student
Buttonologist
Message 7 of 15 (14,457 Views)

In the case of my 7410, the jammed carriage was on the right hand side of the printer.  It's basically the ink cartridge parking place.  If you notice that you can't easily remove the cartridges due to a panel obstructing their exit, you have the same problem I had.  This second carriage travels in and out during initialization and it appears that it has little flaps that wipe the 'nozzles.'  Over time this carriage had gummed up quite badly with ink.  Gently but firmly push this carriage to the rear.  The cartridge gate will lower at this time.  I removed the accumulated ink drip blobs from below this carriage with a putty knife.  I judiciously juiced the gears and slides with WD-40 and moved the carriage in and out manually several times to try loosening the jam.  Finally got good results.
Tutor
chrystinp
Message 8 of 15 (13,903 Views)

This thread was a real life-saver for me today.  I did all the items directed and still no success.  I saw the last response about the gummed up part under the ink cartridges.  I didn't do what he did, but I did take the damp paper towel and cleaned up in there just a little bit.  I left the ink cartridges centered in the carriage and closed the printer top.  I didn't really expect any success, but voila, it worked.

Note for other readers:  The 7410 guide that directs you how to unjam the paper by opening the duplex device and the back of the printer looks like a completely different printer and there was no such opening on the duplex, or a back door to the printer.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 15 (13,869 Views)

chrystinp wrote:

Note for other readers:  The 7410 guide that directs you how to unjam the paper by opening the duplex device and the back of the printer looks like a completely different printer and there was no such opening on the duplex, or a back door to the printer.

When the duplexer is installed it is  the back door.  Remove the dupelxer to access the printer internals from the back.

Tutor
chrystinp
Message 10 of 15 (13,376 Views)

If you look at the directions and the drawings used, they are obviously talking about something this is not on this printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation