Question

Honor Student
wackijacki
Message 1 of 10 (17,122 Views)

Accessing *.pvm files

I previously had HP Image Express on my old laptop and when I traded it in for the new one with the new PhotoSmart 3.5.1, I cannot access previously created *.pvm files, which were the old albums created using Image Express.  Anyone else have this problem and a work around for it?  I spent the better part of an hour and a half with support from HP, who simply ran through their ridiculously scripted lines.  I have searched for a fix on the internet, but have not found one.  Help, as I'm thinking I should just by a MacBook next time.  I am so mad that HP does not have support or upgrade for this.  Please help me access my old pictures of my babies when they were younger!

Thanks,

Jacki

Honor Student
cryinoutloud
Message 2 of 10 (17,042 Views)

Re: Accessing *.pvm files

I also lost many photos when I scanned a bunch of old photo albums with an HP scanner.  Some of them worked fine, and are on my computer, but about half of them went into PVM files, that I've been trying to open now for about a year.  I can't find anything on the web to fix it. 

When I contacted HP, they also gave me the scripted crap about Did I get any error messages on my computer? and Is my scanner working correctly?  (As if I'd ever use it again--it's in a box far, far, away.)  And yet, if you look around on the net, there's many complaints about this file format, all of them with the name Hewlett-Packard attached to them.  This is some software that they used for a short time, realized that it was a problem, and now are trying to pretend that it never existed.  

Thanks, HP!  I have years of photos on my computer that I can never look at again thanks to you!

Honor Student
wackijacki
Message 3 of 10 (17,035 Views)

Thanks for the reply, as depressing as it was, it shows me that I should have went with my gut and bought a Macbook!  It is funny, I saw this way to access HP's president and CEO directly a while ago, and now I can't find the link to save my soul.  I bet it is because his mailbox was full regarding crud like we've been suffering through.  Yet, another big conglomerate going bad and ignoring its customer base.

Good luck and I'll notify you if I find a fix.

Intern
j_onyx
Message 4 of 10 (17,078 Views)

First, the PVM file is not the actually picture file. It is an album file used by HP programs to let them know where the picture

is really stored. The actually picture is probably in a folder in your "My Documents folder" called "Scans" or "My Pictures"

or something like that. The easiest way to find your wayward pictures is to do search for jpeg and jpg files using windows

search. If you haven't deleted anything lately the picture is probably still on your harddrive somewhere.

Second, this is the bad part. Just because there's an album file doesn't mean the picture was actually stored on your

computer. The file (*.PVM) could have been created when you hooked up your camera (or whatever) and the hp program

showed you the pictures that were still stored and never copied to your harddrive.

Third, You can actually open the PVM file with notepad and see the location of the real files in the folder. There's alot of

stuff in the file, but what you are looking for looks like this:

mpv:id="IDAAB0YI_Source"><LastURL>file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/*******/My%20Documents/My%20Scans/2005-08%20(Aug)/scan0004.jpg</LastURL><Metadata

My%20Scans/2005-08%20(Aug)/scan0004.jpg</LastURL><Metadata

"I never let schooling interfere with my education" --Mark Twain
Intern
j_onyx
Message 5 of 10 (17,018 Views)

[ Edited ]

you can download a free copy of HP Image Zone Express 1.1.0 here: 

http://www.download.com/HP-Image-Zone-Express/3000-12511_4-10326289.html

--J

Message Edited by j_onyx on 02-10-2009 12:03 PM
"I never let schooling interfere with my education" --Mark Twain
Honor Student
wackijacki
Message 6 of 10 (17,009 Views)

This is the exact information and work around I was looking for, so thanks.  I have some graphics knowledge, albeit 10-15 years old now, so I knew the file information was probably buried somewhere.  Thanks for helping me look in new places.

FYI -- I had tried using the old image express CD I had, but I wound up getting a CUE error and an error about using it with Vista -- oddly or smartly (depending on your viewpoint) -- it shoved me to the HP online site for updates to Photosmart!  I do have one other computer in the house with XP, so maybe I'll give it a try and move the files on a flash drive.  HMM?  But, I will do what you suggested first and look for .jpg files.  I did enough research to find out the PVM files were an archive format used by several companies, not just HP, that is no longer supported.  That's why I turned to this board as I know there is always a work around.

Thanks so much -- I'm off to give it a try.

Honor Student
cryinoutloud
Message 7 of 10 (13,401 Views)

Yeah, "no photos found."  It works about as well as the last three HP downloads I tried.     I have never been able to find them anywhere else on my hard drive, and anything marked .pvm doesn't exist for any photo access programs..  

So glad I quit buying HP products.  If you do a search for ".pvm" on the  Image Zone download, you get no results.  

It was never really their product at all, just a product of our scanners from somewhere Out There!! 

Ngo Student
Student
Ngo
Message 8 of 10 (11,038 Views)

What I need to do to open my .pmv files I backed sometime ago?

Student
Bogey2Golfer
Message 9 of 10 (9,753 Views)

I have old photos that were created on an HP photosmart printer 2400 that are pvm files.  The printer is no longer installed and I have aWindows7 home operating system.  How can I open these pvm photos?

Student
Message 10 of 10 (6,293 Views)

HOW DO I GET MY PVM PHOTOS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation