Activation error: Printer not activated, error code 20 (2003 Views)
Student
reyneufeld
Message 1 of 8 (2,003 Views)

Activation error: Printer not activated, error code 20

I have had my officejet 4215 all-in-one printer well over a year and it has connected and printed whatever I wanted.  Yesterday when I wanted to print an email it would not and the following box popped up: Activation error: Printer not activated, error code 20.  Then the next box that popped up said: Printer Error  An unknown error occurred while printing.

If I copy the email over to a Microsoft Windows page, then i can print it fine.

Any idea how to fix this so I can print email's like I used to?

Rey

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 8 (1,995 Views)

Re: Activation error: Printer not activated, error code 20

What operating system?  What email program are you trying to print from?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
ginbill1
Message 3 of 8 (1,879 Views)

I keep getting the Activation Error code 20 when I try to print even though I can print  a test page and my printer is set as default  HP Deskjet F380 All-in -one and is installed

Student
exeter51
Message 4 of 8 (1,031 Views)

how do i activate

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 5 of 8 (1,009 Views)

hi there,

could you provide the community with a little more information to help narrow troubleshooting? Things like your printer model and your operating system help out a lot.

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Student
Telstar49
Message 6 of 8 (344 Views)

Downloaded Window 8.1 and lost printer connection. Using Lenovo H430 and Time Warner..  Printer  is Photosmart C5180 All-in-One

HP
MissTeriLynn
Message 7 of 8 (325 Views)

Hi Telstar49,

I understand you're having issues printing with your Photosmart C5180 after upgrading to Windows 8.1. I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues, but I will certainly do my best to help.

First we need to see if your printer is still connected to the network after your update. To check this I'd like you to click here and proceed to Step four: Print a network configuration page and print the page. Then where it says URL for Embedded Web Server (EWS), you will look to see if it's all 0's (meaning it's disconnected) or if it's different numbers (such as 192.168.1.100).

Please let me know the results of this page and we will go from there.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, as it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Student
moroni
Message 8 of 8 (172 Views)

ve the same problem but am not computer savvy enough to copy email to Microsoft windows page. Please help but with idiot speak please. I want to print from web sites but has the same problem and cannot get customer support from HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation