Question

Student
Cindygia
Message 1 of 15 (4,235 Views)

All in one will not print anything in Black.

Replaced the black ink cartridge on my HP Officejet Pro L7580, twice.  The printer will not print anything in black.  Everything comes out very faded or blank.

I noticed reading thru the questions that this seems to be a common problem with the HP Printers.  Yet, I have not seen one response, as to how to fix this problem.  If you can not answer the question, maybe you might refer me to someone who can help solve this very frustrating problem.

Thank you 

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 15 (4,223 Views)

Re: All in one will not print anything in Black.

Have you tried cleaning the printheads of the printer? Press Setup>Tools>Clean Printheads.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
ClevelandBob
Message 3 of 15 (4,206 Views)

I am having the very same problem.  All ink levels show full.  Brand new Black cartridge inserted properly.  Print heads have been cleaned severl times.  Yet still, no print emerges in in black. 
Top Student
nathanplane
Message 4 of 15 (4,185 Views)

Remove all cartridges, shake it, clean the printer with cotton. clean the cartridges, make sure that ink has not dried and clog at the printer head hole.  
Tutor
Cal-MI
Message 5 of 15 (4,174 Views)

Me too. New black cartridge 74XL. Did clean twice and did prime twice. Still get streaks. Some jets apparently are not firing. Strangely, when I do a check ink levels, the black cartridge does not show as a graph. Only the color cartridge shows. Removed the cartridge and polished the electrical contacts with a paper towel. No change.

Since I bought the cartridge a couple of weeks ago and just recently installed it, I no longer have the sales slip.

Student
davekauai
Message 6 of 15 (4,156 Views)

I have same problem.  Tried two sets of new cartridges and it will only print my documents that were written in bold type, and those come out in a light gray.  Have you had any luck fixing it yet?

davekauai

Tutor
Cal-MI
Message 7 of 15 (4,123 Views)

Well, yes. I took the cartridge back to Staples and they exchanged it. The new one works OK.
Student
Alby
Message 8 of 15 (4,077 Views)

I have experienced the same problem. The secondhand L7580 had worked flawlessly for around a year, even using a CISS ink system. I then purchased a L7590 and moved the L7580 to my office as the Blue had started to show banding despite several head cleaning actions. After moving the CISS was replaced with original inks and worked fine for around 3 months, Then the black started to miss areas, eventually the black stopped printing altogether. Several head cleans would produce some output briefly then it would stop printing black again. The printhead status showed both black/yellow and blue/magenta needed monitoring. The black cartridge was replaced with no success, removed heads and cleaned with cotton buds, black worked briefly then stopped again. Not looking forward to paying £50+ for a printhead when I had only paid £56 for the printer on ebay I decided to look for a replacement printer. With nothing to loose I took the printheads out again and soaked them both in around 3mm of 'Mister muscle' for about a hour. I also inspected the head cleaning pads and made an interesting discovery. under the B/Y head was a semi-solid membrane in a catch tray. The membrane was missing on the B/M tray (Any one know where I can get replacements?). I cleaned the membrane as it was choked with black ink. Also cleaned out the trays on both and ensured the drain hole was clear.

I dried off the printheads and checked that when placed on tissue paper clear colurs were visible, all looked well, reassembled printer and inserted printheads, switched on. Initially the printer came up with a B/M head error, but removal and replacement of same head cured this. After a very lengthy start up and self check including head alignment and test print all works perfectly again. The printing is perfect and clear in all colours and even the blue banding has disappeared. For reference both heads now report as being 'Good' in the status reports.

I personally think the L7500 series printers are very good, although the software has been troublesome in Vista and I am disappointed that we have to wait until January 2010 for full suite of Windows 7 Drivers.

Tutor
Cal-MI
Message 9 of 15 (4,057 Views)

I had a catch tray problem with an older HP printer. My wife packed it on its side to move it to our new house. Upon arrival, the insides of the printer were well slathered around with black ink. I cleaned everything I could reach with facial tissues, but it took many printouts to wipe out the remaining ink. I would get smears of black along the sides of each page near the top for quite a while.

I am guessing that the catch trays should be somewhat absorbant and not have a membrane on them. I assume the printhead rests on a tray when the printer is idle. It should allow for some accumulation of ink, seems to me. Your message makes me feel that partially dried ink from your catch tray is gumming up your printhead.  Just my guesses.

FWIW rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab stick seems to dissolve inkjet ink very well. No stronger solvent is needed.

Honor Student
lilsquirt1947
Message 10 of 15 (3,617 Views)

Did anyone get an answer to fixing the problem of not printing anything black?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation