Question

Tutor
Wordchipper
Message 1 of 10 (18,516 Views)

Amount of ink in 920 and 920XL tanks

HP chooses not to list the mm's of ink in their 920 and 920XL tanks (cartridges). Most other manufacturers do. I keep trying to find it in the specs but, alas, HP's PDF manual for the 6500 all-in-one says nothing about ink cartridge specs and tells me to go to the "manual that came with the printer." The only paper manual that came with the printer is a fax set-up guide and a wireless set-up guide. Nothing about ink quantities in the machines required cartridges. Laughable.

The 6500 and its cousins are ink hogs. Canon gives the amount of ink in their tanks, HP is ducking the question. If anyone knows where I can find the amount of ink in  920 and a 920xl cartridges, please tell me. It's not on the packaging nor is it on the product.

Incidentally, I keep having to vigorously clean the cartridge "window" on 2 out of 3 of the brand new cartridges I purchased at any retailer...these are genuine HP, factory-packed, expensive cartridges but the 6500 says "damaged or missing." Its only after I do heavy cleaning on the cartridge sensing window that the 6500 finally accepts. I've asked HP "customer service" about that and they haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about.

I'm about ready to actually throw the 6500 out the window on my next full ink replenishment (which won't be long) - chalk it up to $150 wasted - and buy for $99 the Canon 560 all-in-one. I've had good experience with Canon and my HP 1020 laserwriter (which HP doesn't make anymore - the reduced the size of the popular 12A toner cart in new printers and call it something else with less toner).  But this HP 6500, while delivering good output, is a horrible printer to maintain, primarily because of its excessive ink usage AND its inability to recognize a genuine, completely full HP 920 or 920 XL ink cartridge.

If you know those quantities of ink on the 920 and 920 XL...please let me know.

Thanks.

Student
gjbagnull
Message 2 of 10 (18,510 Views)

Re: Amount of ink in 920 and 920XL tanks

I don't know how much ink is in the tanks, but I have a similar problem with my printer.

I have a 2 month old C6380 which uses 564.  I do print quite a bit in color (flyers, not photos), but I just changed yellow and magenta on Jan 22, and they need to be replaced already.  I got maybe 50 pages, not the 300 the box says.  I know the 300 pages is an approximate, but that's a pretty big discrepancy.  The cartridges that came with the printer lasted 6 weeks, and the replacements (genuine HP) lasted 5 days.

I have cleaned the cartridges, and taken out the printhead and cleaned it.  The quality of the prints are great, when the ink isn't low, but  I can't afford to spend $30/week on ink!  I'm hoping it is just an issue with that particular box of cartridges.

The cartridges on my old Lexmark didn't list the quantity of ink, either.  It  accepted  2  different black cartridges, with a $10 variance, and no one could tell me what the difference was between them.   I rarely printed in color on it, so I can't compare ink useage.

Tutor
Wordchipper
Message 3 of 10 (18,506 Views)

Yup...am beginning to think it's an HP thing: let's see how much we can make on the ink. And the indicators on the LCD text screen on the printer are worthless as to volume of ink remaining. 

Do you have that problem with your C6380 not "accepting" or saying "problem with"...when  a brand-new cartridge is installed? This really bugs me because I've paid good money for a genuine HP cartridge and the machine says, "no." Then I have to rub the cart's sensor window with cigarette lighter fluid (stronger than, say, eyeglass cleaner) and after several attempts and prayers, the 6500 accepts.

I had great service out of a Canon i580 (they don't make it anymore)...four ink tanks and always felt I had reasonable value out of each. Had it eight years! And do lots of color printing, like you. I wish I had bought the Canon 560 (new)..all-in-one. More compact, and Canon will tell you in mm's how much ink they're selling you, right on the package. And I bet it doesn't go through all the ink-wasting automatic "cycles."

Like I say...I hate to do it...but when the price is right and I have a Best Buy coupon...either at Walmart or BB you can get the Canon for $99 with ink....so rather than spend another $70 on HP ink that my HP printer has a problem with, I may make the switch. Dislike wasting that 6500. But, like in Office Space (the movie) this printer is driving me nuts on ink and maintenance.

Thanks for your comment.

Student
Z-Man
Message 4 of 10 (16,804 Views)

Weigh a new 920 XL ink cartridge, 920 ink cartridge, and the empty cartridges to determine the weight of ink in the respective cartridges.  Now you have the weight of the ink per cartridge.  Divide the price of the XL cartridge by the weight of the ink in the XL cartridge and do the same for the other.  Now you have $/grams of ink for the XL cartridge and the other.  Let this be your basis as to which is the better value.  I look forward to doing this myself to see if I am getting ripped off by buying the XL cartridges. 

Tutor
Wordchipper
Message 5 of 10 (16,784 Views)

Actually, the point is now moot to me because I was able to sell my HP 6500.

I got very tired of having to clean the little "window" on the cartridge to get the 6500 to "accept" it. I'd have to keep going through this procedure for about twenty minutes before the 6500 would recognize it. HP tech support basically told me I was the only user on the planet with ths problem. And these were genuine HP cartridges purchased at Best Buy and Sam's Club. Finally, it wouldn't accept a 920 XL yellow at all and I had it. It was like the scene from "Office Space" the movie when the guys took their photocopier out in the woods and the kicked the heck out of it. Fortunately, even with the warning about the ink, I was able to sell it at a $100 loss on Craig's List. What a piece of junk.

I then purchased a Canon 640 and love it!  The ink cartridges are always accepted and it has TWO paper paths, one for card stock that goes straight through without bending and one for regular paper. The auto-duplexing also works perfectly. What a great printer! Although my HP laser writer, the 1020, still works beautifully with re-filled laser toner carts from Cartridge World at $42 vs $70 for HP's new ones (and I've found the Cartridge World refills last LONGER, much longer, than the new HPs). 

Canon also prints the amount of ink in their respective cartridges ON the cartridges. I don't have to measure.

Thanks for the comeback.- although I still like my HP black and white laser writer (a model they no longer make, of course) - HP with their 6500 ink cartridge problems have turned me off on their color machines. I'll stick with Canon, unless they mess me up someday. Hope not. -  Larry

Student
JCofficejet6500
Message 6 of 10 (15,067 Views)

Inkjet volume: 

Black 920 = 24 ml,

Black 920xl = 53 ml,

C-M-Y all have 15 ml.  

Facts taken from Ebay refilled ink cartridges.

Student
goldfish1954
Message 7 of 10 (14,781 Views)

Hp 920XL versus Hp 920 Ink Cartridge

#920 OEM Black Ink Cartridge
Bold black printing.
Yield: 420 pages

Contents: 15 ml black

#920XL OEM High Yield Black Ink Cartridge
Bold black printing.
Yield: 1200 pages
Contents: 49 ml black

#920 OEM Cyan Ink Cartridge
Yield: 300 pages
Contents: 2.5 ml cyan

#920XL OEM High Yield Cyan Ink Cartridge
Yield: 700 pages
Contents: 6 ml cyan

#920 OEM Magenta Ink Cartridge
Contents: 2.5 ml magenta

920XL OEM High Yield Magenta Ink Cartridge
Contents: 6 ml magenta

#920 OEM Yellow Ink Cartridge
Contents: 2.5 ml yellow

920XL OEM High Yield Yellow Ink Cartridge
Contents: 6 ml yellow

goldfish2-1954
Student
rcpax
Message 8 of 10 (11,467 Views)

I dont think anything "official" has been posted on this thread. And I have found this thread having searched for the same thing. So here it is. The official Ink Volume per cartridge, as published by hp: http://goo.gl/00UHv

If for some reason that link 404s, here is the screen cap of that page: http://goo.gl/vqoRK

Student
DAVE1944
Message 9 of 10 (11,194 Views)

All the above complaints are right about the 920 cartridge longevity. HP could give away the printers if you use their cartridges for a few years. My experience is that the XL's last a bit more than 1.5 times the regulars, so they're (barely) worth the 1.5 times price tag, but they all print about 25% of the advertised pages -- pretty expensive ink!!

Student
lhettini10
Message 10 of 10 (5,150 Views)

http://www.hp.com/pageyield/en-019/yields/OJ6000E609_page.html?cCode=us

I believe this will provide the information you seek. I am having similar issues. I have had good experience with HP printers as being conservative with the ink. The 7500 is different. It is using way to much ink. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation