Question

Student
bernie1906
Message 1 of 43 (21,809 Views)

Automatic Document Feeder not working/HP 8500

I have never had this issue with any HP printer.  I cannot get the automatic document feeder to recognize that paper is inserted.  Is the machine broken or did I fail to install something correctly? 

Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 2 of 43 (21,807 Views)

Re: Automatic Document Feeder not working/HP 8500

Hi there.

Did it ever work?  I looked around to see if I could find an 8500 in my office, but couldn't find one.  If you want to, open the automatic document feeder cover, and look for a little plastic finger that you can move in the direction of paper travel.  flick it a couple of times. 

My guess, sadly, is that it's broken.  All the connections are internal, so if something isn't connected, it isn't you.

regards, CF

I work for HP and hope to make your day Sproutastic!
Student
hzorce
Message 3 of 43 (21,775 Views)

My HP Officejet 8500 Pro Premier is not able to copy or fax from the feeder. Can someone help my with this problem?Any help would be greatly appreciated. I got this print last November in replacement for my HP 7310 officejet from HP.

Student
pitchkittle
Message 4 of 43 (21,709 Views)

Re: Automatic Document Feeder not working/HP L7680

Document feeder will not feed paper into copier in order to fax.

Tutor
scrompton
Message 5 of 43 (21,488 Views)

I had this issue on my 8500 right out of the box. I opened the ADF lid and turned the gear in the lid that's at the rear in the top left corner of the lid towards the bottom until the pick up roller pops out. Then insert a blank page in the ADF up to just before the gray rubber pad (while the lid is still open as the gear will block the paper path if you close it) and then close the lid. Now press copy black and the ADF should successfully feed the sheet and the pick up gear goes back to the normal position. From now on it should work fine. At least it does on mine.

Student
commishg
Message 6 of 43 (20,532 Views)

scrompton wrote:

I had this issue on my 8500 right out of the box. I opened the ADF lid and turned the gear in the lid that's at the rear in the top left corner of the lid towards the bottom until the pick up roller pops out. Then insert a blank page in the ADF up to just before the gray rubber pad (while the lid is still open as the gear will block the paper path if you close it) and then close the lid. Now press copy black and the ADF should successfully feed the sheet and the pick up gear goes back to the normal position. From now on it should work fine. At least it does on mine.

Thank you for the great advice about how to get the automatic document feeder to work.  The ADF on my HP 8500a did not work out of the box, but thanks to your advice, it is now working like a charm.  Thank you!

Top Student
madikm
Message 7 of 43 (20,429 Views)

Hi All,

I have the same problem with the APF for the HP L7680. Did everything from cleaning the rollers to the advice by the colegue above. It wroked for one time only. It seems there is a defect in the APF mechanism. The new HP models are not as good as the previous models. One thing I am sure about, HP Printers will not be on top of my list anymore for my next purchase.

Regards

Madi

Student
larry1911
Message 8 of 43 (19,613 Views)

Tried this. Worked the first time. Missed the 2nd and 3rd and worked the 4th. I'll keep playing with it, but I'm really disappointed. I love the printer other than this glitch.

Top Student
MattDF
Message 9 of 43 (18,675 Views)

[ Edited ]

Im having a problem with the automatic document feeder after it has been working for months.

If you look at this pic the top blue thing is loose and when the adf is closed the blue thing slides down and blocks the papers path.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportDocument/c02171424/c02172399.gif

Im looking for somekind of drawing of what parts go where in there cause i think that something just popped out of its spot. Or just advice from someone who knows what came loose.

Student
DentistSD
Message 10 of 43 (18,623 Views)

I'm also having a problem with the ADF not working after having worked for over a year.  It takes a while for the ADF to "grab" a piece of paper, and then after it does, the copy is "scrunched", that is, it is shorter length wise, but still the same width.  It's also cutting off the top of the copy.  It still copies fine off the glass, but not in the ADF.  Scans are also affected.

Any help would be appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation