Question

Student
Layla
Message 1 of 9 (5,010 Views)
Accepted Solution

Black Ink cartridge HP 364XL for Photosmart C309g

I have an all in one Photosmart premium C309g and ordered a new black ink cartridge numbered HP364XL (code CN684EE). This is the code given by HP supplies but differs to the black cartridge I have already and gives a message when printing that it is incompatable? There is a clear difference in size?

How do I make sure I'm ordering the right cartridge? 

Tutor
hpdavid
Message 2 of 9 (4,986 Views)

Re: Black Ink cartridge HP 364XL for Photosmart C309g

The catridge specified for the C309g is the 564 or the 564XL (extra capacity)

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 9 (4,967 Views)

The 564 and 364 cartrdiges are for the same printer but for different regions.  The proper cartrdige will depend on your country.

Do you need the black (large) cartrdige or the photo (smaller) cartrdige?  See here for information on selecting the proper cartrdige.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
tunaman4u2
Message 4 of 9 (4,949 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had aftermarket ink put in the printer & even though its full, it now prints nothing.

I want to order HP ink but want to make sure my printer isn't clogged so the HP ink works.

Anyway to clean out the old ink? Or will I be fine with the new HP ink regardless?

I took out the heads & wiped them down but still no black ink from the aftermarket cartridge.

Hoping the machine isn't ruined so I dont waste money on the HP cartridge.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 9 (4,939 Views)

tunaman4u2 wrote:

I had aftermarket ink put in the printer & even though its full, it now prints nothing.

I want to order HP ink but want to make sure my printer isn't clogged so the HP ink works.

Anyway to clean out the old ink? Or will I be fine with the new HP ink regardless?

I took out the heads & wiped them down but still no black ink from the aftermarket cartridge.

Hoping the machine isn't ruined so I dont waste money on the HP cartridge. 

The quality of aftermarket supplies varies greatly.  Depending on the ink you had the printhead may be permanantely clogged.  You could try soaking the printhead as described in this post.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
tunaman4u2
Message 6 of 9 (4,926 Views)

Awesome, this worked... I noticed the aftermarket ink is VERY VERY runny... too much. I bet it leaks when it sits & drys when it's not discharged.

I had to shake shake shake the other cartridges & get em going but the aftermarket black splattered everywhere

HP ink for me only... thanks for the time, I was considering bailing on HP after many recommendations of their computers.

Student
costantino
Message 7 of 9 (4,617 Views)

I have a C309g HP printer purchased in the US, however I am now living and working in Italy and purchased the complete set (5) of 364 cartridges but i'm getting an  "incompatible cartridge" error. Is there any thing I can do to overcome this problem also because I have spent quite a bit for all the Ink that I can't bring back because I have already opened the packages. Please Help.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 9 (4,597 Views)

costantino wrote:

I have a C309g HP printer purchased in the US, however I am now living and working in Italy and purchased the complete set (5) of 364 cartridges but i'm getting an  "incompatible cartridge" error. Is there any thing I can do to overcome this problem also because I have spent quite a bit for all the Ink that I can't bring back because I have already opened the packages. Please Help.

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Student
Rionach20
Message 9 of 9 (3,544 Views)

Re: Black Ink cartridge HP 364XL for Photosmart C410b

[ Edited ]

I am using Photosmart C410b with HP364 ink cartridges. I've ordered a replacement black cartridge ( wide xl) but in the mean time how can I print using the narrower black photo cartridge. The one I have is full but I'm not able to print anything because the wider cartridge is empty?

An alternative would be to print using colour inks. I could do that with my last printer but I can't find the option on this one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation