Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I too had this problem occur out of nowhere some months ago.  I cannot tell you the "why" but I can tell you what I have been doing as a workaround, which works every time.

Select "Properties" from the Print window.

Select the "Color" tab.

Change "Color Management" to "Application Managed Colors".

I find this annoying, especially since I can't seem to make this change permanently via Printer Management but at least it works without fail every time.

Best of luck to all!

HP Recommended

I made the changes suggested above through the printing preferences options.  The change is permanent now.  The problem remains though when I use the printer as a copier.  The only way to print with black ink is from the computer.  A little help from HP would be nice though.  I have updated everything that can be and this issue will not go away.  If I have to replace this printer I imagine it won't be with another HP product.

HP Recommended

Found a link to another post in the forums with the same title as this one.  Follow the instructions for removing the printhead and cleaning and soaking with hot water.  After 5 minutes of cleaning and rinsing everything works fine now.  Ignore the post above about changing the color settings in printer preferences.

HP Recommended
Tried cleaning the printhead and still does the same thing as complaint in previous posts. I will not do that work around that the first relpyer advised. I'll buy a Canon or Epson first. I print too much to do this everytime I print. Any other suggestions?
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my C309-m on a mac, the black won't print, It started about three months ago shortly after updating the os lion, print head cleaning seemed to clear the problem at first but now it has re-occured. I have tried re-installing the drivers, cleaning and resetting the print heads, switching off and on, changing cartridges (although plenty ink in) but without success,the problem persists  when I try to copy on the printer so I doubt it is associated with OS lion. Why are HP not addressing this problem, looks like I wil have to bin an almost new printer and forget HP if this is the best they can do.

Anyone with a fix yet??

HP Recommended

Same here with c309g - all new original inks, did some print yesterday - but today, now I can't print black? Also, I've tried to just make a copy - again no black on the print/copy - so I think it MUST be a printer problem, and not related to any Mac or PC software. So any good (new) ideas on how to solve this?

HP Recommended

brownsly's suggestion worked for me after hours of trying everything else from cleaning the printheads, buying new toner, constant realignment, cleaning.  All a waste of time and money when all that was needed was changing an option!

my symptons were that black text was not printing at all in most cases or sometimes in very, very light gray if the black text was bolded.

brownsly's suggestion:

Select "Properties" from the Print window.

Select the "Color" tab.

Change "Color Management" to "Application Managed Colors".

HP Recommended

I have been having this problem for over a week, and I'm pretty tech savvy, running Windows 7, came home from work, bound and determined to print, unplugged the little booger from the wall and plugged it back and it worked.  Crazy thing.  Same thing works when my Comcast box won't work, I unplug the TV from the wall, and then the cable box works.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I've tried to change the settings but still won't print black. Have replaced cartridges. have unplugged and restarted.  Still cannot get printer to print or copy in black.

I do test pages and color comes fine, but no black.

HELP.  Worked fine last week.  Any suggestions, please?

HP Recommended

Same experience as most people here, but no proper resolution of this fault from HP. or even any HP comment at all. Why Not?

Despite using only genuine HP cartridges throughout its life, it Won't print or copy anything in black.

Print head alignment ends with a fail message.

The only thing that works for me is the brownsly solution: change colour management to "App Managed Colors".

This works for printing from a Windows PC, but not from a Linux machine, of which I have several.

This is obviously a software-related problem, so in principle, HP could solve it with an update, so why haven't they done so?

In times past you could rely on buying an HP printer, bring it home, and it would work more or less for ever.

Shame on HP for not fixing this, or even repsonding to this thread!

My c309a, with its recently purchased expensive set of ink cartridges, is now headed for the rubbish bin where it will join its young HP predescessor.

My last HP printer for ever, I'm heading for another brand from now on.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.