Black ink won't work (4693 Views)
Student
Daymein
Message 1 of 9 (4,693 Views)

Black ink won't work

I have the HP deskjet F2400 all-in-one series (F2480 to be exact) and the black ink wont print.  The ink expires in December of 2011.  The color ink works great but no black

Honor Student
Allman
Message 2 of 9 (4,654 Views)

Re: Black ink won't work

[ Edited ]

I have a similar problem.

I have a Photosmart Premium C309g-m (all-in-one) and it has worked perfectly for more than a year. This morning the black suddenly faded during the printout of about four pages.

I have reinstalled the printer with the PS_AIO_06_C309g-m_USW_Full_Win_sve_140_175.exe and when I printed the test page at the end of the installation it came out fine with the black text as expected. Therefore I haven't done any print head cleaning.

I've deleted and added the printer in my Windows 7 system, without any improvement.

Test pages from the printer properties window only prints the color parts of the page.

The ink level indicators show at least half full for all of the cartridges. The black 364XL HP original cartridge expires 2012-05-06.

The HP Printer diagnostics passes and no other signs of any problem expect the lack of black.

I'm out of ideas of how to proceed.

Can anyone help me?

Honor Student
Allman
Message 3 of 9 (4,606 Views)

Now I'm confused but relieved - the printer works fine again.

I didn't use it for a few days and then I used it successfully as a copier and now printouts from the computer works as well!

I can't recall that I have done anything else since my previous post.

Grad Student
Kryten
Message 4 of 9 (4,596 Views)

Hi

This may sound silly but have you removed the pull-tab from the head of the ink cartridge.  Even thought I work in HP I have done this several times over the years and sometimes it takes me a while to understand just what I have done.

Alternatively you could try some of the troubleshooting suggestions at the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01760759&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

If I were you I'd skim down to solution 5 and start from there.  Hopefully it will help you solve your issue.

(I am an HP employee) I am not a expert on all our products, but I'll do my best to help you.
Honor Student
Allman
Message 5 of 9 (4,565 Views)

My issue was that the printer had worked fine when black suddenly faded away.

After having tried software updates on the PC and the printer, restarts etc without solving the problem I gave up and turned the printer off for a few days and when I had turned it on and successfully made a copy of a document, the printer also successfully printed jobs from the PC.

So, the issue no longer persists without me knowing either what caused the problem or what solved it! Was it perhaps the long rest without power supply of the printer?

Printer: Photosmart Premium C309g-m

The ink level is indicated to be at least half full for all cartridges and the guarantee dates are all well into 2012.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Honor Student
pat2397
Message 6 of 9 (4,293 Views)

just put in new blank ink level  reds low ink

Honor Student
Hello083
Message 7 of 9 (4,177 Views)

The black ink also won't print on my HP 2400. The black printed very well for a shipping label, clean and dark, the next print after that there was no black, and that was seconds later. No text has printed after that, it all comes out in very light color. Have hardly ever used the printer and the ink levels are nearly full, very disappointing and frustrating.

Honor Student
Hello083
Message 8 of 9 (4,071 Views)

I think I may know of a solution for the defective black ink problem. Perhaps a class action lawsuit, rampant defects without proper quality control or solutions, also  the ever ridiculous display of greed with ink pricing. I know I have had enough of corporate greed, how about you fellow consumers?

The second an alternative option is available that is fair and has quality in the printer market every person who has been wronged by companies like HP is going to dump the greed driven and purchase from the honorable.

HP's hold on consumers is a thread that is going to be easily broken with the emergence of an honorable alternative.

Student
skime25
Message 9 of 9 (3,370 Views)

won't print black, bought new cardridges cost as much as printer , called hp they said they would sell me another printer for more then I can find  it less elsewhere. Reputable company right?!!! any solutions, would never buy another hp printer!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation