Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a blank touch screen - printer is out of warranty (only 18 mos old). 

Any suggestions to correct this situation (other than purchase a new printer)? 

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey NWahoo,

I see you are having an issue with the display of your 8600.  Is this printer plugged into a direct wall outlet?  Sometimes plugging an 8600 into a surge protector or power strip can cause some electrical issues as it has a built in surge protector. 

Have you tried turning the lights off in the room and changing the display angle of the printer display?  It is possible that the display is very faint or shows up only at certain angles due to a connection issue.

As well, please take a look at the steps in the document linked below.

The Product Display Is Blank or Black

Let me know the results,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I would like to share with you this work-around which works for me.

1) Unplug the power cord.

2) Wait for appro. 60 second

3) Plug in the power cord

4) Power on the printer

5) Wait for the printer to enter ready mode (after all the servicing of the printer is complete)

6) Download the latest Firmware from HP.com, depending on your printer model:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-search.html?tab=1#/qryterm=officejet%20pro%208600e%20all%20in%20one...

7) This should works!

Hope this helps :generic:

HP Recommended
Hi,

There are 5 different positions that the screen can be adjusted.Please move to each one of the position and check if you are able to view the display.If you are not able to view in any of the positions,please get the screen to home positoin and then

1) Unplug the power cord.

2) Wait for appro. 60 second

3) Plug in the power cord

4) Power on the printer

This should resolve the issue.If you still face the same issue,then the printer has to be replaced.The issue is caused because of the loose cable that is connected to the back of the display and can be resolved if the display is moved to home position noticed when the printer is removed from the box for the first time.

Regards,
Ronnie_N

Please click on Kudos if this post is helpful
Click on Accept as Solution if it resolves the issue.
Distinguised Professor
HP Recommended

The touchscreen on my OJPRO8600 has been fading away for many months now. Recently it started flashing on and off irradically, like a bug zapper in the Everglades, until I shut the printer down. I tried resetting and unplugging the printer, leaving it unplugged for DAYS more times than I can count and that never worked.

Yesterday my son started to print something from the internet that was going to be more than 100 pages, He only wanted 1 page. Frustrated with my son and the printer, I just yanked the power cord out of the wall mid-print. Although I waited until after it ejected the page it was currently printing.

Today, I plugged it back in and got the message that the printer was inproperly shut down down, never shut it off at the power strip or by pulling the plug from the wall when I realized HEY I CAN READ THIS!

My screen is back to normal! I don't know how long that will last, but I can say that if/when the screen fades away again the first thing I will do it start a print job and yank the plug out of the wall.

I understand this action can damage the printer as every warning will tell you. I was about to buy a new printer because of this screen issue (not another HP of course), so if I blows it up, I dont care.

I cannot advise you to take this action, if you do be prepared that it could destroy the printer entirely. But if you are like me and ready to throw it out anyway, there is nothing to lose.

I was thinking this was a hardware problem, that the screen was burning out. That is clearly not the case. It is a software bug, I do have the latest firmware. I updated the firmware before the problem started. I wonder if you can go back to the older firmware. I will probably leave it now until the screen blanks out again.

If the screen goes blank again and pulling the plug mid-print does not work a second time, I will post again to let you know,

I had to double check the screen to make sure its still working before I hit "post". And it is working...

Even the date and time is correct. I don't remember when I saw that last. Un-freaking-believable.

Dec 13, 2013:

This just gets curiouser and curiouser. By last night my touchscreen was very faded out again, The icons were still visible so I did not do anything about it, just left it to see what it will look like this morning. And this morning, its back to normal. I do leave the printer on all night. It does go to sleep ater 15 minutes.

Dec 17,2013:

It still clear and crisp as the first day that I bought it. If it weren't in front of me, I wouldn't believe it. If anyone else tries this, I'd very interested in knowing whether this "technique" worked for you or not. Since I cannot test it, I cannot tell whether yanking the cord out mid-print made it work, or did I just happen to have chicken bones laying around that day.

Jan. 6, 2014:

My screen started to fade again. This time I just pulled the plug while it was on and awake and left it unplugged overnight. When I plugged it in the following morning the icons were clear again.

It is so perplexing, what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. Especially the person where doing this make it a little better! How messed up is that. I guess its come down to always having to buy an extended warranty. HP used to be so reliable that the thought of an extended warranty would never have occured to me.

HP Recommended

I also tried a number of things in an attempt to fix the same problem.  I eventually - and inadvertantly -  fixed the problem when I looked under the touchpad and fiddled with a small black plastic cover (presumably where the wiring from the main printer body enters the touchpad).  When I looked at the touchpad screen again, the display was as bright as it ever was.  I can only think that the wiring connections were not as good as they could be and that moving the connector cover had restored connection..

HP Recommended

My screen went black a month ago but I was still able to do everything I needed to do which is just scan and print.  I was hooked up on wifi though and changed companies last night. When the new wifi was activated the printer could not connect to it because the wifi was turned off. And with no screen, we could not get it back up and running.  I have been reading and trying everything that I have read and still no luck.  Tomorrow I will be back at Best Buy buting a new printer and it sure won't be an HP.  I left HP computers because they were undependable and the printers (this is my second one) have last to a couple of months after the warranty.  No more for me.

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing!  This works for me!

HP Recommended

None of the tricks worked for me.

I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYvy97PpkgI  about how to change the display/screen...I got mine off easily enough.

Putting a new one back on is the same thing in reverse, so I ordered a replacement on eBay. He has plenty of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322256347592

If for some reason this refurbished display from Hong Kong does not work, I got the info from HP Support as to where I can get a NIB part.  HP was out of these, so they told me to call 877-219-9228 and order part #: CM749-60085.  The few new ones I found online were all abut $100, so I'm taking a chance on the refurb part from eBay for $30.

I just ordered the part on eBay today so it will be at least a week before I can install the replacement display.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.