Question

Student
Primbud
Message 1 of 11 (2,545 Views)

Both cartridges needed?

Does this printer require both black/white and color cartridges to be installed in order to work? Some printers were like that - or simply the black cartridge will be enough just to get it to work (in b/w printing) with an empty color cartridge slot?

Honor Student
thaichai
Message 2 of 11 (2,521 Views)

Re: Both cartridges needed?

I would also like to know this question about the HP 1050 All-In-One printer.  Does it need both black and color cartridges to print.  

Thanks!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 11 (2,500 Views)

Primbud wrote:

Does this printer require both black/white and color cartridges to be installed in order to work? Some printers were like that - or simply the black cartridge will be enough just to get it to work (in b/w printing) with an empty color cartridge slot?

What printer model? 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 11 (2,496 Views)

thaichai wrote:

I would also like to know this question about the HP 1050 All-In-One printer.  Does it need both black and color cartridges to print.

The user manual does not mention this printer being able to print in reserve mode, but it would be easy enough to check - just remove the color cartridge and try printing (not copying) a page.  Most of the single function printers with a color and black cartridge will work with either of the cartridges removed.  Most all-in-one printers with two cartridges require both cartridges present to copy but many will print with one cartridge. 

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
thaichai
Message 5 of 11 (2,492 Views)

Thank you for your reply!

I haven't bought the printer yet because I wanted to make sure that if the color cartridge ran out of ink it would still print just black and white.  So far none of my research has answered this question on any model of printer I've looked at.  They were having a special pricing on the HP 1050 so I wanted to know this single detail before purchasing.

I'm sure the manual doesn't include this info either??  Do you happen to know about it?

Thank you!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 11 (2,488 Views)

I actually checked the user manual for this model before I posted and did not find anything on "reserve mode" or "backup mode" in the manual.  I do know that the printer would still work if one of the cartridges were empty.  

There are some models that require all the cartridges to be present and have ink to allow printing but this is not the case for any of the printers with ink tanks and printheads integrated (IPH) like the 1050.

Honor Student
thaichai
Message 7 of 11 (2,477 Views)

Wow, you are so awesome to check into that for me!  Great information, thank you so much!!!

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 8 of 11 (2,294 Views)

Hi thaichai & Bob

The online manual for Deskjet 1050 AiO has info on single cartridge mode on page31

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02227094.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 11 (2,286 Views)

Ciara_B wrote:

Hi thaichai & Bob

The online manual for Deskjet 1050 AiO has info on single cartridge mode on page31

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02227094.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks, Ciara

Thanks Ciara.  I have now seen it documented as Reserve Mode, Ink Backup Mode and now Single Cartridge Mode.  It would have been nice if *any* of these terms had been included in the rather sparse index.

Student
trupti1941985
Message 10 of 11 (1,065 Views)

i have hp deskjetF4185 and want to know weather  both cartridges are  to be replaced for a printer to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation