Question

Tutor
Caesar3
Message 1 of 15 (33,831 Views)

Bottom half of text cut off

My printer: Photosmart C6280 All-in-one. The printer connects to my wireless router via Ethernet cable. Two computers use this printer on a wireless home network. The problem has occurred with both computers. Both computers (an HP desktop and a Gateway laptop) run Windows Vista Home Premium. The problem I describe occurs when printing text from Microsoft Word 2007.

From time to time, the last line of text in a document or a label comes out with the lower half of the entire bottom line cut off. The odd thing is that sometimes (but not always), I can resend the print job and get good results. For example, on one occasion after encountering this problem two consecutive times with a particular document, I re-sent the print job and used the back side of a used sheet. It printed correctly, so I put a new sheet of paper into the tray and tried a fourth time. This time, I got the same unacceptable result! Tried a fifth time and got a good print.

One important point: The problem has never once occurred when I print photos. The problem seems to occur only when printing text.

Honor Student
HPSceptic
Message 2 of 15 (33,807 Views)

Re: Bottom half of text cut off

My C7280 printer had this same issue of cutting off the text in the last line of a document.  HP technical support suggested an additional print driver (deskjet 990c) to use when printing, and the standard c7280 when faxing.  It worked for me.  Apparently the print and fax driver for the c7280 conflict with each other. This same problem may exit with other all-in-one printers as evidenced by following the "bottom border" discussion thread in this same forum.
Honor Student
mxhall
Message 3 of 15 (33,176 Views)

I purchased my C7280 3-months ago and I am suffering the same problem with the bottom half of the last line not printing. I've had two fruitless sessions with HP technical support and I'm completely disappointed with their lack of knowledge and the unwillingness to propose to me any alternatives other than contacting Microsoft, for word documents, or to uninstall the HP software and re-install the software. I'd like to try the solution you talked about, installing the alternated drivers for the other printer model. Are there any directions on how use the two drivers on my printer. I not sure how to proceed. I would appreciate any directions
Honor Student
Barry_J
Message 4 of 15 (29,524 Views)

We were also having this problem but after researching around on the net and finding some other people with the same issue, we found the following fix worked (based on a Windows 7/Vista Machine):

1. Click Start > Devices and Printers
  2. Right click 'HP Photosmart C7200 series' and click Printer Properties
  3. Click the Ports tab
  4. Uncheck Enable Bidirectional Support

For XP users, you can get to the same thing by finding your printer in the "Printers" area of Control Panel. Following this, opening the properties for your printer from there either by right clicking directly on the printer, or by double clicking the printer and then in that window selecting Printer > Properties.

We found that the above worked for us so I hope it works for some of you too.

Student
lomed
Message 5 of 15 (29,025 Views)

Thanks you much. It appears to work for my C6180 printer on vista (the problem has been random so I am not sure whether it will work forever). I don't know what bidirectional support means so I don't know what side effects to expect as a result of unchecking this option. Thanks for any info.

Lomed

Top Student
DanPeay
Message 6 of 15 (28,882 Views)

I have been living with this for months and was about to throw away my HP printer.  My printer was not printing the first line of a document.  When I tried to change the properties for the PORT, the tab was greyed out and I could not make any changes until I remembered that Vista requires you to right-click on properties, and then select Run as Administrator, even though I am logged on as Admin.  This allowed me to make the change and perfecto!  My documents print very nicely.  HP support was unable to help me, so thank you!

Student
Devyn
Message 7 of 15 (27,252 Views)

I have an HP computer with Microsoft word 07. I did the enabling printer propoerties I read about from other that have previously posted, that helped the problem. But did not fix it. Some of my text is still cut off. Why is this? Is there anything else I can do?

Student
oldridge
Message 8 of 15 (26,758 Views)

Hp 5610 All-in-one all of a sudden has started cutting off the last few inches when printed.  This has happened with Microsoft word and also pdf files.

Student
mushycd
Message 9 of 15 (25,779 Views)

Thank You,  This works finally!!!  I have wasted more paper in the past year on this problem.

Student
KT-SQDN99
Message 10 of 15 (24,969 Views)

This solution worked for me.   My MS Word documents were not printing completely often cutting off the last line of the document I was printing.  Following this solution fixed the problem immediately.  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation