Question

Student
flamingo25
Message 1 of 3 (319 Views)

C5180 photos

Each time I print photo's the first 5 or 6 turn out perfect, then as I continue to print more photo's the color is not like the original at all.  I start with new cartridges and always do a print head cleaning before and after I start to have this problem.  I have to quit and come back to it later for it to work properly again.  Then I will only get 5 or 6 good photo's before it goes bug-o again.  What would cause this? 

Honor Student
showbiz
Message 2 of 3 (264 Views)

Re: C5180 photos

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my C5180. I print a lot of 8x10 headshot photos on heavy matte paper. The first 4 or 5 are perfect, then they begin losing the black ink component. Where there should be black (pupils, highlights, shadows), the printer replaces it with orange.  One would immediately think that it may be a bad black ink cart, but subsequent test page (non-photo) printouts are fine (and the problem persists with new black ink carts). Shutting down and walking away for a few hours seems to reset the printer, but again, after 4 or 5 prints, photos lose the black ink. I tried playing with the driver settings, reloading the drivers, printing from other systems,etc., but no change.  It could be bad drivers, buggy RGB to CMYK conversion, bad printer firmware, printer buffer corruption, or just a bad print head design.  I can't rely on this printer when I get last minute requests for quick turnaround 15-20 headshot printouts, so unless I find a solution, this printer will go out with the trash.  Any suggestions/solutions?? 

Honor Student
showbiz
Message 3 of 3 (248 Views)

Re: C5180 photos

Part 2 - In order to narrow down the problem, and to determine if it's an ink feed problem, I took a photo file and added a variety of black geometric shapes onto the photo with a paint program.  The photo with the black shapes printed fine. The next photo printed, without the black shapes, was still missing the entire K (black ink) layer. Therefore, it's not a mechanical printer or ink feed problem. It appears to be a problem with the RGB to CMYK translation.  It looks like HPs CMYK translator (Colorsmart/sRGB ?) is corrupting the Key layer translation, and converting it instead to an orange color.  The photos that I'm working with are professional headshots and are large .tif or jpg files.  Does anyone know if HP has an update to any of the software that does this translation?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation