Question

Student
bookman
Message 1 of 19 (17,884 Views)

C7280 won't recognize a new full ink cartridge

I recently needed to replace a magenta ink cartridge. I've now tried 3 brand new cartridges and the printer always says the cartridge is empty and a new one is needed. The printer worked fine until trying to replace this cartridge.
Student
Sailing4fun
Message 2 of 19 (17,767 Views)

Re: C7280 won't recognize a new full ink cartridge

Best I've found so far is that bent pins can cause this problem.

I'm experiencing the same problem on a C7180 with the yellow cartidge. Worked fine until I ran the yellow to empty, tried to replace with a new HP cartridge only to have the printer continue to say the (new) cartridge was empty. Swapped back and forth without success. Went out and bought another new cartridge which elicited the same results.

I've looked under the cartridge and all the pins seem fine.

I'll continue to search for more information. Otherwise, it may be a service repair at a reputable HP rep.

Honor Student
workshop99
Message 3 of 19 (17,460 Views)

Same problem.  Replaced cyan cartridge.  Ink gauge in toolbox in printer firmware recognised it and shows cartridge as full.  Cartridge status in Solution Center shows as ready but if I try to print from an application the driver reports the error message "ink cartridge empty - install cyan cartridge"

HP support asked me to manually clean the cartridge contacts (even though the ink gauge was showing it was full) and to reset the printer to factory defaults (unplug, wait 20 seconds, hold down # and 3, and plug in.  Did all that.  No change.

I suspected a bug in the driver.  Printer fimware recognises full cartridge as does Solution Center, but not driver.  Perhaps a flag set by an error condition is not being cleared when the error condition is cleared

So I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.

Problem solved, but it's only a work around.  Is there a bug in the driver, HP?

Student
danwestness
Message 4 of 19 (17,413 Views)

I'm having the same problem with my C6180.... i'm confused on how it could be a driver issue when the printer itself says it's out of ink without even being connect to a computer (standalone mode)

Master's Graduate
skippyjohnson
Message 5 of 19 (16,565 Views)

This is an old post, but I just had the same problem on my printer and wanted to respond in case someone else with the same problem finds this post.

The resest solved the problem for me. 

1. To reset this printer, make sure the printer is on.  Unplug the printer without turning the printer off. 
  2. Wait  60 seconds.
  3. Hold down the # and 6 button while plugging the printer back in.  Keep holding the # and 6 down while the printer turns on.  After a bit, on mine there was a picture of the power symbol that appeared on the printer display. 
  4. When the power symbol appears on the printer display, take your fingers off the # and 6 button. 
  5. Push the power button to turn the printer off.  Push the power button again to turn the printer back on.  The printer will take some time to go through some preparation.  When the preparation is complete, the printer will recognize that the cartridges are full. 

My printer is the C7280.  I'll check on the reset instructions for the C7180 and C6180 also mentioned in this post and update this thread with instructions for those printers as soon as I find those reset instructions.  I'm not sure what the #3 does - that's close, but different than what what worked for me.

If these steps worked for you, please mark this post as solved. 

I am an HP employee.
Student
plenderman
Message 6 of 19 (16,441 Views)

I have a C7280 and am having the EXACT same problem!!!   I was ready to take the ink back Best Buy and complain because it is brand new and I'm still receiving the message. But now I know that it is the fault of HP.  

I tried resetting following the instructions to reset...  (turn off... #6 etc... ) but that didn't work either.  Just got a message warning me about using non HP ink (which I never have). and the "replace empty ink cartridge" screen is still there.  Can't even print with black only.  

I imagine the repair bill will be more than a new printer.  If I have to go that  far,  you can bet it won't be an HP!!!! 

Master's Graduate
skippyjohnson
Message 7 of 19 (15,592 Views)

When you did the #6 did it reset the printer?  I thought I'd tried it and the printer wasn't reset.  It wasn't until I tried it a second time that I saw the printer reset and it solved my problem.  

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
drfreud
Message 8 of 19 (14,701 Views)

i tried all your solutions to no avail.  decided to delete all HP programs from computer and reinstall with my installation disc thinking that might work. unplugged my printer as instructed and deleted all HP programs. then plugged in printer before using installation disc. immediately a message appeared in lower right hand corner of my screen stating installing driver. i did nothing to initiate this. upon completion (took only a minute) my printer is now working.  did not have to use the installation disc (hadn't even placed it in my computer). when i looked on the add/delete list of programs, HP is nowhere to be found. I do not understand what happened but my printer now works and the ink gage shows all cartridges full, as it should, since all are new.  hope this helps someone.

Student
Brava007
Message 9 of 19 (14,007 Views)

I had the same problem, but didn't know it.  I thought there was something wrong with the cartridge and I ended up returning what was a perfectly good Cyan cartridge.  The printer just didn't recognize it was full and said it was empty.  Like others, the color gauge did actually read the cartridge as full, it just wasn't recognized at the time of printing.  I would get the error message about replacing it or else all printing would stop.  Finally I found this forum and realized the problem was not the cartridges.  I tried using the pressing the # method described in this forum and it didn't work.  I tried it twice to make sure I did it right.  I ended up unloading the printer driver and reloading.  That worked!  Finally, I am printing in color again!  Before it would only let me print in black and white.

UNLOAD AND RELOAD DRIVERS WORKED FOR ME!  I HAVE A PRINTER AGAIN!

Student
mikemcc1
Message 10 of 19 (13,051 Views)

I've tried everything to fix this same problem.

I finally found that by unistalling the C7280 printer drivers and then re-installing everything is now working just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation