Question

Student
huntlylad
Message 1 of 5 (1,364 Views)

C8180 Improper shutdown

My Photosmart C8180 shuts down and reboots intermittently and I get the error message "improper shutdown". How can I fix this?

Student
emy10s
Message 2 of 5 (1,296 Views)

Re: C8180 Improper shutdown

I am having the same problem!  The printer test page prints fine and sometimes you can print one page, but it seems to be more of a problem when trying to print multiple pages.  The printer just shuts down on its own.  I've double checked all the cords, plug-ins etc. and reconnected my wireless to my computer thinking it was a miscommunication with the network, but the problem persists!!  Can anyone at HP shed some light?

Student
kevinesharp
Message 3 of 5 (1,195 Views)

My C8180 I currently own, and the hp printer I had prior, both do the same thing. I called hp about it and they tried to sell me a brand new printer for more that Amazon sells them. My printer is two months out of warranty. They admitted that there is a firmware problem and said normally they would replace the printer, but there is nothing they can do because it is out of warranty. I tried to talk to a supervisor about it because it is not a wear problem, it is an "it's not well designed" problem. He offered to match Amazon's price and offer a three year warranty for $1. I asked to speak to a manager and they set up an appointment for the next evening. Guess what? They never called! After tonight, I am starting a "Truth about HP" campaign on every social network I am on as well as email and word of mouth. HP does not back their products and are difficult to deal with. Let’s all try an Epson! 

Vik: Tech Support

Marvin: Supervisor

Manager: Now Show (Missed 5 pm 4/1/2011 call)

Ticket No: 8049010371

Student
henia
Message 4 of 5 (1,159 Views)

I just solved the same problem by replacing all 4 capacitors on the power board with higher capacity ones capable of handeling higher temperatures.  As it turned out all 4 were defective after limited use of 1.5 years.  I was able to find a TV repair shop that works on printer power supplies to make the repair costing $79.

Tutor
SCAN23
Message 5 of 5 (666 Views)

Henia,

That's what I heard on a nother forum.  I am going to take my C8180 apart today and check the caps on the power supply.  I read either the green or purple will be blistered and or swollen.  I am hoping to get replacements at Radio Shack or online electronics store and do teh job for a lot less than $80.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation