Question

Honor Student
lrjones198
Message 1 of 31 (6,829 Views)

CP1215 Color Alignment

Anything printed in color on this device is out of alignment. For example, a word in green will have a yellow outlay. I have run the HP Toolbox calibration tool countless times and it does not fix the issue. Is there a manual way I could adjust the color alignment?

Teacher
strmcsr
Message 2 of 31 (6,806 Views)

Re: CP1215 Color Alignment

Hi there,

There is no way other than the HP Toolbox to run a Calibration on the CP1215.   Ensure that you have the latest FW installed on the unit as it resolved some color plane issues:

This is the link for the XP firmware solution, but the other OSs are out there too.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=Im-91823-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...=

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
Honor Student
lrjones198
Message 3 of 31 (6,797 Views)

I have the firmaware updated and I also ran the diagnostic utility which found nothing. I tried again to calibrate it and no dice. It is strange because the black and magenta are aligned perfectly, but the cyan is below where it should be and the yellow is above where it should be. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Tutor
Artisthos
Message 4 of 31 (6,492 Views)

I have the same problem except the black and the magenta are off.

Honor Student
sjme2009
Message 5 of 31 (6,411 Views)

I have the same problem except it is the Cyan which is an issue.

I have tried all the recommended steps (Calibration; Cold Reset; Restore Factory Settings; etc) but none of these fix the issue.

I had a similar problem with the Magenta cartridge a while back but a Firmware update fixed that issue.

I have read that doing an "NVRAM Initialisation" may fix the problem but cannot find out how to do that.

Does anyone know how to do an "NVRAM Initialisation" for the CP1215?

Tutor
Artisthos
Message 6 of 31 (6,404 Views)

111120 I just taped over the magenta it was off so bad. I used a piece of cut white paper to cover the drum and taped over it and put it back in. They discontinued this model and I can see why. I am looking to find one on Craigslist for $15 so I can see it works any better and then I will tear down the worst one to see it I can fix it.

I spoke to a very nice HP man in Canada but he was unable to shed any light on the problem. 

NVRAM Initialization
Turn off the printer, press and hold the green button turn the printer on, keep holding the green button until the attention light gets on then release the green button and press twice the red (cross) button and take some time your printer will automatically start calibrating the cold reset process is done

111010 post
110109 saved settings in docs/computer
Forum
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/bd-p/Printing

Hold green key down 2-3 seconds for test page
1108 Yellow cartridge bad
1110 Magenta cartridge bad? Replaced with new and same problem

troubleshooting
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01691296&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&ju...

software
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/p...

Tutor
Artisthos
Message 7 of 31 (6,349 Views)

I have all these problems and when I did solve it I replaced the yellow cartridge with a new one and the black and magenta aligned. Now I do not want to spend any more money so I am looking for old cp1215’s on craigslist hoping to find the right combination of cartridges.

Now I am trying to discover how to print just two colors so I can use it as a duotone printer. If you can print just one cartridge at a time I could solve the problem by adjusting the image to match up. It would be a whole lot better that what I have now.

Honor Student
sjme2009
Message 8 of 31 (6,304 Views)

Hi All,

I have tried all the suggestions that everyone has kindly supplied - so thanks to everyone who has tried to help!

Unfortunately I have not found a solution yet.

My suspicion is that it is a diffrent era of manufacture of the cartridges that may be an issue.

I always use genuine HP cartridges but have noticed that the latest ones seem to be "compatible" with many more cartridge types (and hence models of machine) than was originally the case.

So maybe this has resulted in compromises somewhere along the line.

If there is anyone at HP who could think about that it could be useful - even if the answer is just "There's no way that could be an issue".

Tutor
Artisthos
Message 9 of 31 (6,298 Views)

I saved my original cartiridges and even after putting in more toner the problem still persists.

Honor Student
sjme2009
Message 10 of 31 (6,000 Views)

Update - I replaced the Yellow cartridge and the problem with the misalignment on blue and red went away.

Printer is now working fine again.

My conclusion on this is that either the tolerance levels regarding the mixes of levels of ink available in each carttridge are somewhat narrow (so that the calibration algorithmns can't cope) or there are genuine differences between different generations of HP cartridges which can throw the alignment out of synch.

Next time I encounter the problem I'll try a new set of cartridges which are all new and all of the same generation. If that fixes the problem then it will be clear that the problem is with the cartridges, not with the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation