Question
CP1215 Color Alignment
Replies (31)

Intern
GERRY_EXPRESS
Message 21 of 32 (1,757 Views)

Re: CP1215 Color Alignment

Perform an NVRAM initialization on the HP Color LaserJet CP1210 and CP1215 Series printer

1. Turn the product off.
2. Press and hold the Resume button.
3. Turn the product on, and continue holding the Resume button for at least 10 seconds, but not longer than 20 seconds. The Attention light will be lit.
4. Release the Resume button.
NOTE: If the Attention and either the Paper out light or the Ready light are lit, restart the
procedure.
The Attention, Ready, and Resume lights cycle from front to back until the process is complete.
The product then enters the Ready state.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 22 of 32 (1,753 Views)

[ Edited ]

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers. The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue.

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access. These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results. One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight. To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Printer-Resets-What-You-Should-Know/m-p/234739...

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
rogerval
Message 23 of 32 (1,738 Views)

Hi Gerry,

I tried the NVRAM initialisation but it didn't work in my case.

After using the printer successfully for a few months after my initial post, I think I've confirmed what works in my case:

1) the CP1215 won't calibrate at all unless it senses that all cartridges are OK (that is, they're registering as having some toner left, and not on 0%), and ...

2) even if I turn on "override" and calibration appears to have taken place, the printer still hasn't really calibrated.

Note re point 1: I believe that the only way the printer can know if there's toner in the cartridge, is if the cartridge chip tells the printer that there's some left. I now have a few aftermarket "emergency" chips so I can re-assure the printer that there's still toner left (when I, not the printer, know there is) and thus keep the printer working until the cartridge is REALLY empty. (Sorry HP ! :smileyhappy: )

Now I'd like to figure out how to make the colours more lifelike, but I'll look into that another day.

(And thanks PCWizard for your link to the dangers of unauthorised resets. But you should realise that you've only made me curious to know more about these secret menus, don't you ? :smileywink: )

Kind regards,

Roger.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 24 of 32 (1,723 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi 

First make sure you have the latest firmware for the printer. If you print a configuration page under Printer Information you will find the Firmware version or datecode (see the link below for printing the configuration page). The most current version is 20100201 (February 1, 2010). You can find the firmware herehttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3422476&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us...

If you have the most current version of firmware and you are still getting misalignment, also known as color plane registration,and cannot correct it with a calibration you may first need to perform an NVRAM initialization and then perform a calibration. It may take up to 3 calibrations to bring it back in alignment.

Here is a document that explains the steps for an NVRAM Initialization:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01530306&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Here is a document on how to print a configuration page and perform a calibration:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01530414&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01530306/en_...

I am an HP employee.

Tutor
Artisthos
Message 25 of 32 (1,716 Views)

I have gone over to just using the printer for spot cyan, magenta and yellow color. And now the black and yelllow toner roll are going bad and streaking in on the side.

My wife wanted some good quality color printsd for an invitation so I went out and bought four new cartridges and they printered perfectly. I took them out and replaced them with the ones I was using and the calibration problem disappeared but the streaking of the balck and yellow persists. I guess the toner roll only has so many impressions and since I am refilling them they eventually go bad.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 26 of 32 (1,704 Views)

Hi Artisthos, 

Toner cartridges drum rollers are designed to be used one time. If you are refilling the cartridges without replacing the drum roller then you will end up having print quality issues. To ensure that you have good print quality and you maintain the quality of the printer it would be suggested that you use new cartridges instead of paying a cheaper price for a refilled cartridge, and then take the chance that it will work properly for you. Glad to hear the new cartridges resolved the calibration issue you were having. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Student
shakil123hossai
Message 27 of 32 (1,571 Views)

how it solved this problem

please see the ok& not ok image

Provost
pcwizard
Message 28 of 32 (1,565 Views)

HI shakil123hossai, 

Please provide additional details.

1. Problem Description
2. Printer Model
3. Operating System (including service pack revision)
4. Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless?
5. Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Want-Good-Answers-Ask-Good-Questions/m-p/2094

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
DaveWin
Message 29 of 32 (1,011 Views)

Hi there. 

I'm running into the same alignment problems that have been reported above. For me it's just something that has occured today when I had to replace the Magenta cartridge and up until now things had been working fine.

A couple of notes. That URL for the NVRAM document goes to a 404;

HP was unable to find the page you wanted. Please view the information below to get support for your product.
To see if this page is still available or to find similar information, please try the following:

Secondly, HP has to realize that people are using OEM cartridges because you can replace all four for the price of one new HP cartridge. The "Real" Ones are just insanely over expensive. They just are. Reduce the cost of these by 50% and you'll be able to sell more.

The other thing HP needs to do is fix their consumption algorithem. The override gives me aother 500 prints before there's any degredation in the print quality. So clearly the math there is written to make the cartridges require replacement faster than they actually do.

That said, even if I use genuine HP cartridges, I'm still getting this problem. On close inspection, I notice that the end of a couple of the cartridges is different than the others. They are all the correct products and labled for the CP1215 but there are differences in the design. I can only assume, that at some point, the design for these cartridges has changed and if you don't have all 4 with the same design, then you're going to get alignment problems.

So far after about 5 calibrations, and even putting back the older cartridge, I still get alignment problems.

Top Student
rogerval
Message 30 of 32 (998 Views)

Hi DaveWin,

Perhaps you're aware of this, but has your printer been set to "overide" while you attempt the calibration? In my experience, while it's in overide, the calibration only goes through the motions, while not actually working. (Drove me nuts until I realised what was going on. :smileyhappy:) )

(My apologies if you're already aware of this.)

Kind regards,

Roger V. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation