Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 7640

I am supposed to create cards for homework and I have an hp envy 7640 printer.  I am wondering if the printer will be able to print card stock.  If so, please help me on how to set it up. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @KateAnderson

Welcome to the HP Support Forum.  I hope you enjoy your experience here.  :robothappy:

I understand you're looking to print card stock with your HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer.  I would like to help.  

For your information, here are your printer's specifications for handling card stock: 

Supported cards

To avoid paper jams and other issues, make sure that you are using the correct type and size of index cards or card stock when loading the input tray.
 NOTE:
Load card stock in the main input tray only. Card stock is not compatible for use with the ADF for single- or double-sided printing.
Paper type
Paper size
A4 index card
210 x 297 mm (8.3 x 11.7 inches)
A6 card
105 x 148 mm (4.1 x 5.8 inches)
Borderless A6
Borderless Hagaki*
100 x 148 mm (3.9 x 5.8 inches)
Hagaki*
100 x 148 mm (3.9 x 5.8 inches)*
Index card
76 x 127 mm (3.0 x 5.0 inches)
Index card
89 x 127 mm (3.5 x 5.0 inches)
Index card
101 x 152 mm (4.0 x 6.0 inches)
Index card
127 x 203 mm (5.0 x 8.0 inches)
Index Card Letter
200 x 148 mm (7.8 x 5.8 inches)
Japanese postcard
100.1 x 148.1 mm (3.94 x 5.83 in)
O**bleep**u Hagaki*

Source

Now to provide you with the how in printing card stock I need to know the following about your setup:

• Are you printing from a Mac, PC, cellphone, or tablet? 
  • Which operating system(s) are you working with and what version(s)?  

Please reply before your homework is due (:smileywink:) and I'll be happy to provide the steps you need.

Thank you!   

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @KateAnderson

Welcome to the HP Support Forum.  I hope you enjoy your experience here.  :robothappy:

I understand you're looking to print card stock with your HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer.  I would like to help.  

For your information, here are your printer's specifications for handling card stock: 

Supported cards

To avoid paper jams and other issues, make sure that you are using the correct type and size of index cards or card stock when loading the input tray.
 NOTE:
Load card stock in the main input tray only. Card stock is not compatible for use with the ADF for single- or double-sided printing.
Paper type
Paper size
A4 index card
210 x 297 mm (8.3 x 11.7 inches)
A6 card
Borderless A6
Borderless Hagaki*
100 x 148 mm (3.9 x 5.8 inches)
Hagaki*
100 x 148 mm (3.9 x 5.8 inches)*
Index card
76 x 127 mm (3.0 x 5.0 inches)
Index card
89 x 127 mm (3.5 x 5.0 inches)
Index card
101 x 152 mm (4.0 x 6.0 inches)
Index card
127 x 203 mm (5.0 x 8.0 inches)
Index Card Letter
Japanese postcard
100.1 x 148.1 mm (3.94 x 5.83 in)
O**bleep**u Hagaki*

Source

Now to provide you with the how in printing card stock I need to know the following about your setup:

• Are you printing from a Mac, PC, cellphone, or tablet? 
  • Which operating system(s) are you working with and what version(s)?  

Please reply before your homework is due (:smileywink:) and I'll be happy to provide the steps you need.

Thank you!   

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Will 8.5 by 11 cardstock work

HP Recommended

I am using an Hp Pavillion  and my homework is due next week so I have enough to set things up.  My only concern at the moment is that I don't see an 8.5 by 11 paper size on the list. It is the same size as normal printer paper but I am wondering why it is not on the list. thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @KateAnderson

The 8.5" X 11" size not being on the list indicates that your printer's not designed to work with that specific size of card stock.  The closest you're going to get with that is the A4 index card size (8.3" X 11.7").  You can either pick up a stack of A4 cards or try your luck with the letter size card stock you already have.  Just note that it's not guaranteed to work so if your printer has trouble picking or feeding that size I'd give up immediately on the experiment as you don't want to cause any damage.

I hope this helps.  Thanks again for your post and have a nice week!  

Regards,

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hi- I'm super disappointed because I bought this printer already and am having the same issue with cardstock paper. It is a complete waste of money for me and I will have to take it back. Do you know what printers are similar that do take cardstock?
HP Recommended

Hi @Lindsay1

Are the cards you're printing fitting the supported sizes above (earlier reply) and the weight below? 

Cards
Up to 163 to 200 g/m2 (90 to 110 lb index)
Up to 40 cards

Source

If what you're printing is a supported size and weight try the troubleshooting steps posted above. If not, and you're thinking of getting a different printer note that the Officejet and ENVY series handle a similar range of media (paper) sizes. If you're going to be printing a certain size of documents that these models don't support you can look at what's for sale here. When you make some selections enter the model name here and then click on the product information and printer specifications tabs to see what it can handle. 

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.