Question

Honor Student
stanglam
Message 1 of 6 (627 Views)

Can a off brand cartridge model 88XL damage a printhead on a HP Office Pro L7780?

Here's my story....

I got a brand new HP Office Pro L7780 and it worked fine with the HP Brank ink.  After it ran out of black ink, I used an after market 88XL.  Within 2 weeks the print head went bad.  I called HP and they sent me a brand new printhead.  The new print head only lasted 2 weeks and now it is already streaking. 

I know the black 88XL is suppose to use Pigmented ink.  So I was guessing that maybe the company that refilled the ink cartridge possible put dye ink inside, since it's cheaper.  However, I read that even if you put dye ink where it was made for Pigmented ink, is should still wrok fine.

Do HP printer head really wear out that fast?  or Do you think maybe it's the ink in the aftermarket ink cartridge?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (612 Views)

Re: Can a off brand cartridge model 88XL damage a printhead on a HP Office Pro L7780?

The short answer to the question "Can a off brand cartridge model 88XL damage a printhead on a HP Office Pro L7780?" is YES.  I would suggest contacting the supplier of the ink and ask that they have your printhead replaced.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
MattFllr
Message 3 of 6 (603 Views)

Re: Can a off brand cartridge model 88XL damage a printhead on a HP Office Pro L7780?

What brand after market cartridge did you use ??

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 6 (589 Views)

Hi stanglam,

Just for your reference, there's a link below to a study carried out on HP vs refilled cartridges. It didn't include the HP88's, but you may find some of the findings on the cartridge reliability results of interest.

http://www.qualitylogic.com/2009HPinktest.pdf

Kind Regards

Ciara 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
stanglam
Message 5 of 6 (582 Views)

Regarding what brand the ink is, I'm not sure.  The box it came in, I threw it away.  The actual cartridge doesn't have a brand on it.

Honor Student
stanglam
Message 6 of 6 (580 Views)

I took apart the aftermarket cartridge and removed the refill plug.  I poured all the ink that was in the cartridge out.  I refilled it with pigmented ink.  I then removed the printhead and soaked it in water for 10 minutes.  I ran a test print and for now it is working okay.  I will see how it works over the next few weeks.

Thanks for your information.  If I find the brand of aftermarket ink cartridge I used, I will post it.

FYI - Go to amazon.com and look at the reviews for this printhead.  Apparently, a lot of people are having problems with this printhead.  I'm just wondering if maybe this printhead is poorly made. 

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Yellow-Officejet-Printhead-Packaging/product-reviews/B000BO9L8M/ref=c...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation