Question

Student
sdprinter
Message 1 of 11 (2,953 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't Put Photosmart 3310 Cover Back

I opened the cover of the device (as I have many times before) to replace an ink cartridge, and the cover/lid is stuck in the open position and won't close.  I'm afraid that if I force it, a hinge will break.  Is there a release button or some other trick that will allow me to get it back down?
Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 2 of 11 (2,932 Views)

Re: Can't Put Photosmart 3310 Cover Back

There isn't a release button.  For a quick workaround, on the right side of the printer, the door flag sensor can be tripped by putting something against the metal flag.  If you look to the right of the area where you can see the printhead go back and forth, there's a circular hole with a piece of metal visible through it.  Push down on that.  That will make the printer think the lid is down.

Regards, CF

I work for HP and hope to make your day Sproutastic!
Honor Student
Charram
Message 3 of 11 (2,514 Views)

II found the metal you spoke of but it didn't let me close the lid.......it did however fool the printer into thinking the lid was closed.  I still can't use the printer because the lid is still open.  Any other suggestions?  Appreciate your help.

Student
torgie
Message 4 of 11 (2,156 Views)

the cartridge cover is locked up and won't close. i don'see any release button. how do i close it ?

Student
csaw13
Message 5 of 11 (2,085 Views)

Ok, I get about the metal circle on the right hand side of the HP. Yes it does work and fool the HP to think the cover is closed, but that doesn't solve the problem.  I still can't close my cover, and it is not practicle to stand there with your finger in the the metal circle to get it to print.

Please is there any solution at all to close this stupid cover.

There must be something that can be done, unscrew something or anything.

HELP, I can't work like this. :womansad:

Teacher
CyclingFool
Message 6 of 11 (2,080 Views)

Okay, the hinge seems to be shot.  Working from that assumption....and from memory...

First, unplug the machine. :smileyhappy:

Look at the rear of the inside, at the hinge.  There is a snap feature on each of the two hinges.  Unhook the snaps and GENTLY slide the scan system off.  There are cables connecting the top and bottom halves.  There is a plug visible in the back for the slide adapter light that you may need to unplug, but that isn't an issue.

Now, you have to remove the hinges.  Removing the hinge requires a Torx bit.  Once you remove the hinge, you can set the scan system on top of the print system...all the locating features are still there.  After this is done, to access the ink, you need to lift the scan system, and move it out of the way of the supplies.

This should work.  If you are in mid-work stream, and something seems odd, post or PM me some pictures, and I'll help you get 'er done.

As a side note, I've always liked this system.  It has a wonderfully clever ink recirculation system that minimized waste ink, yet kept the printheads healthy.  It's efficient, fairly fast, and realtively low ink costs.  My two cents.

Of course, read the disclaimers below.

Regards, CF

I work for HP and hope to make your day Sproutastic!
Tutor
rolson3788
Message 7 of 11 (1,726 Views)

Dont take the cover ( the scanner ) just lube the the metal part of the hinges with spary or olive/veg oil. The hookup for the scanner in the back are a b**** if you take the lid off.

Honor Student
kazz61
Message 8 of 11 (1,076 Views)

Used wd40 in the hinges and it worked a treat. Im one happy lady :smileyvery-happy:

Student
work_no_more
Message 9 of 11 (932 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much rolson3788!

As kazz61 said, "I'm one happy lady!"

Student
Skers
Message 10 of 11 (597 Views)

Omg! That worked. Unbelievable how simple. And we don't even have metal parts that we sprayed the wd40 on. Thank you soooo much!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation