Question
Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge
Replies (69)

Honor Student
flannecl
Message 61 of 70 (2,447 Views)

Re: Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

I have HP6700 premium and have looked and looked at the setup and other settings ON THE PRINTER, and I can't find anything regarding override or any other settings to change the printer settings to print in B&W or override color.   I did change the settings on the COMPUTER to print in B&W but it still depletes the color.  This has been going on for two years and only one time did a message come up that color was empty and asked if I wanted to print in B&W, that happened 3 times then went back to the original message saying I couldn't print until I replace color.  I am able to check my cartridge levels and they are showing cyan and yellow pretty low already!  I bet I've printed less than 20 pages since I replaced those.  I see all kinds of postings but nothing ever helps.

Top Student
gundy2
Message 62 of 70 (2,374 Views)

Please keep in mind that the information I have posted as workaround solutions to the "can't print" problem are for LASER JET printers only. I haven't experimented with ink jet printers. Good luck.

Top Student
jjx5nc
Message 63 of 70 (2,366 Views)

You are right.  This is frustrating.  The printer is always running out of a color cartridge when I need just one more sheet printed, and don't care about color.  On top of that, I have 100 extra pink and light blue cartridges laying around, which the printer apparently never uses.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 64 of 70 (2,361 Views)

flannecl wrote:

HP 6700 has same problem, bet all HP printers do.  [snip]

You would lose that bet.  HP and (other printer manufacturers) have different printer technologies for different needs.  For inkjet printers: 

• Some have printheads built into the ink cartridges.  These printers can typically print with one or more of the colors completely empty, or even with color or black (but not both) cartridges removed. The Deskjet 6980 series is an example.  

• Other printers have separate ink supplies and replaceable printheads.  An example would be the Officejet 6500 printers.  The printhead in these printers can be replaced if they are damaged by running the printhead with colors out.  Some of these printers will allow printing with a color out, other will not.  If the printer is run without ink in one or more colors the printer may be damaged, but the user may be able to recover without having to send the printer for service.

• Other printers have permanent printheads.  To run these without some ink in all the colors would risk causing damage to the printhead due to clogs, air ingested in the printheadvor burned out printhead firing resistors. The Photosmart 3310 series is an example of this type of printer. For printers with fixed printheads this could require service to get the printer to print properly again when the ink is finally replaced.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
jjx5nc
Message 65 of 70 (2,356 Views)

Thanks Bob, I actually went out and bought a newer HP printer today.  I signed up for the HP Instant Ink program, and it will save me money, prevent those last minute ink crises, and make everyone happier.  This is a much better alternative.

Honor Student
ipromise2
Message 66 of 70 (946 Views)

I have help if anyone needs....

Most HP printers will not print when any ink is out by default. BUT...

If you go into sytem setup

next

print quality (it will be on STOP WHEN OUT)

scroll over to OVER-RIDE STOP

should begin to print :smileyhappy:

NOTE: if you have clicked print several times while being frustrated:smileyhappy: your printer will contine to print, so before you over-ride; make sure you cancel your print and only click print one time. Or you will need to stop print and repeat these steps.

Hope this helps anyone. HP good product I dont have a clue why they dont have anyone more tech savy to repond to these questions!!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 67 of 70 (912 Views)

ipromise2 wrote:

I have help if anyone needs....

Most HP printers will not print when any ink is out by default. BUT...

If you go into sytem setup

next

print quality (it will be on STOP WHEN OUT)

scroll over to OVER-RIDE STOP

should begin to print :smileyhappy:

NOTE: if you have clicked print several times while being frustrated:smileyhappy: your printer will contine to print, so before you over-ride; make sure you cancel your print and only click print one time. Or you will need to stop print and repeat these steps.

Hope this helps anyone. HP good product I dont have a clue why they dont have anyone more tech savy to repond to these questions!!

There are a few misstatements or misunderstandings in your statements.  This thread is discussing inkjet printers.  Your comment says "any ink is out", but the steps you give apply to laser printers, not inkjet printers. 

You say "most HP printers will not print when any ink is out by default...", this is actually not true.  There are many many models with millions and millions of installed printers that will happily continue to print with one or more inks completely depleted. 

HP and other printer manufacturers have different printer technologies for different needs. 

• Some have printheads built into the ink cartridges.  These printers can typically print with one or more of the colors completely empty, or even with color or black (but not both) cartridges removed. The Deskjet 6980 series is an example. 
    • Other printers have separate ink supplies and replaceable printheads.  An example would be the Officejet 7110 printer.  The printhead in these printers can be replaced if they are damaged by running the printhead with colors out.  Some of these printers will allow printing with a color out, other will not.  If the printer is run without ink in one or more colors the printer may be damaged, but the user may be able to recover without having to send the printer for service.
    • Other printers have permanent printheads.  To run these without some ink in all the colors would risk causing damage to the printhead due to clogs, air ingested in the printhead and or burned out printhead firing resistors. The Photosmart 3310 series is an example of this type of printer. For printers with fixed printheads this could require service to get the printer to print properly again when the ink is finally replaced. 

The document here describes how ink is used.  While the document is written for HP Inkjet printers the same principles apply to inkjet printers from other manufacturers.

As for technical savvy of the folks here - please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.  Most of the posters in the forum here are volunteers, as I am.  I do happen to have an MS in EE from Stanford, five inkjet related patents and more than a dozen years in the inkjet industry before I retired.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
gundy3
Message 68 of 70 (898 Views)

Bob, the forum under which the original post was made is "other printing questions" plus the title and original poster do not specify the issue is regarding an inkjet printer, therefore, assistance offered for a printing problem should not be met with reprimand. HP color laser printers also have separate cartridges for black and several color and have similar printing issues. Somebody may find this thread looking for a solution for their laser printer in which case the solution provided may be helpful. I provided a similar solution previously in this thread and qualified it by stating the solution(s) were for laser printers.

Top Student
gundy2
Message 69 of 70 (890 Views)

[ Edited ]

Acutally, this is my "correct" account...

Honor Student
ipromise2
Message 70 of 70 (885 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thanks, Im sorry if I offend you and your many degrees. I was simply responding and offering help to some folks frustration regarding not being able to print when ink is out of one or more cartridges. I only wanted to help, even one person would have been good.

Truly sorry.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation