Question
Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge
Replies (69)

Honor Student
ianelvagabundo
Message 11 of 70 (31,348 Views)

Re: Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

I'm not sure how this forum is supposed to work, but can see an HP representative answered questions before, so I was hoping for a reply too. I've sent him a private message to ask what's happening as it's been over a week since I asked this question and I still haven't resolved the issue.

I've also double-checked the help pages and other forum threads and cannot find an answer anywhere.

Anyhow, I'll post my question again in the hope that it will bump this thread back to the top and get a response...

I have an HP Photosmart B109n and MacBook Pro running OS X.

The cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges have run out but are still in the machine (no colour appears at all when I print a test page).The black cartridge is new and full (black text prints fine on test page).

However, when I try to print a greyscale JPG image it attempts to print it using the colours. It goes through all the motions and sounds and looks like it is printing, but the paper comes out blank.

It's a B&W photo, and I've tried printing from Photoshop and even saving it as a PDF and printing it from Acrobat, but always the same problem.

I've checked every software setting I can find and still no luck.

It's bizarre, why does it attempt to print an image which has no colour by using colours?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 12 of 70 (31,335 Views)

[ Edited ]

ianelvagabundo wrote:

I'm not sure how this forum is supposed to work, but can see an HP representative answered questions before, so I was hoping for a reply too. I've sent him a private message to ask what's happening as it's been over a week since I asked this question and I still haven't resolved the issue.

I've also double-checked the help pages and other forum threads and cannot find an answer anywhere.

Anyhow, I'll post my question again in the hope that it will bump this thread back to the top and get a response...

I have an HP Photosmart B109n and MacBook Pro running OS X.

The cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges have run out but are still in the machine (no colour appears at all when I print a test page).The black cartridge is new and full (black text prints fine on test page).

However, when I try to print a greyscale JPG image it attempts to print it using the colours. It goes through all the motions and sounds and looks like it is printing, but the paper comes out blank.

It's a B&W photo, and I've tried printing from Photoshop and even saving it as a PDF and printing it from Acrobat, but always the same problem.

I've checked every software setting I can find and still no luck.

It's bizarre, why does it attempt to print an image which has no colour by using colours?

Any help would be much appreciated...

There are a few considerations here: 

• This is a peer to peer support forum. For information of how the forum works see here. With very few exceptions the users here are unpaid volunteers like you or me sharing with others.  This board is not a direct link to HP support, for that you should Contact HP.

• Black ink in this printer model is pigmented while the color inks are dye based.  The pigmented ink is not compatible with photo paper.  If photo paper is selected (or automatic paper type is selected and detected as photo paper) the printer will use only the color cartridges to print.

• The black ink is designed for text printing and the ink droplets are much larger than the color droplets.  To print better quality color ink is typically used for printing graphics as it gives better print quality with less visible dots.

Depending on the printer model and operating system some drivers have an option for "print in grayscale" and "use black cartridge only".  I do not know if this is available for your printer in a Mac OS.  You may have better results asking your question in the more appropriate Mac Printing/Scanning forum.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
ianelvagabundo
Message 13 of 70 (31,330 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bob

Many thanks for the explanation. I've tried selecting standard paper now instead and it still doesn't print out correctly, but is not completely blank. It's printed out what appears to be the darkest tones of the greyscale image with black ink, but presumably has missed out the light tones as it still tried to use coloured ink for them.

Still, I think we're on to something and I will go across to the forum you suggested to see if someone can help there.

Apologies for mistaking you as an HP rep, you must be sick of this happening especially given some of the criticism that has been thrown at you above.

May I suggest you make it clearer in your signature that you do not work for HP? Since you are marked as a Forum Expert and are answering technical questions about HP products I think many people may assume "Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer", means you work in the Windows Consumer department at HP... that's what I thought anyhow! :smileyhappy:

Best wishes

Ian

Student
Royalnonesuch
Message 14 of 70 (31,268 Views)

I am also having trouble printing without color toner. I have a laserjet pro cm1415fnw color mfp. It is a laser printer and I cannot print certain files (i.e. pdf) without some color toner even though I set it to print in B&W only and in greyscale. Any help and/or explanation would be much appreciated.

Student
xLTBx
Message 15 of 70 (30,047 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cant wait to get rid of this trash who {content removed} thought  it was a good idea to require color ink when printing in grayscale

Student
phxbarb
Message 16 of 70 (29,720 Views)

I have a wireless HP printer which I thought was great until it ran out of colored ink and now it won't print. Why don't you devise cartridges in black that can go into the color slot?  I don't print in color and I don't need it.  What am I supposed to do now?  This is a travesty. If I had known about this, I would never ever have bought it.

Student
Dremer
Message 17 of 70 (29,251 Views)

Do I have to have a full color cartridge to print in black and white?  I have a new black cartridge but when it prints out it isn't even nice black printing.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 18 of 70 (29,246 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dremer wrote:

Do I have to have a full color cartridge to print in black and white?  I have a new black cartridge but when it prints out it isn't even nice black printing.

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? There are several different technologies.  Some require ink to protect the fixed or semi-permamant printheads, some can print with the color empty or even removed completely.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
MadCust6
Message 19 of 70 (29,208 Views)

What a load of cr@p!! The only reason the color cartridge(s) is required for black on white printing is because the printer was engineered to do so!!! I can't wait to dump this money s*cking printer.

Honor Student
cimard
Message 20 of 70 (27,875 Views)

I have read all the posts on this matter and HP's "answers" - none in the least bit helpful. MyCP2020 will not print in grayscale because the Magenta cartridge is empty.

I am off to an important meeting without the required documents because of this.

I will NEVER buy another HP product as long as I live.

A plague on them and whatever MBA employee of their who received a bonus for coming up with the idea of forcing the sale of un-required colour cartridges on customers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation