Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge (73043 Views)
Honor Student
cimard
Message 21 of 65 (5,735 Views)

Re: Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

My apologies to Bob - I mistook him for a HP representative.Sorry Bob.

No apologies to HP for having so little respect and so much contempt for their customers.

Student
trumulis1999
Message 22 of 65 (5,688 Views)

[ Edited ]

This worst piece of hardware I have used, why system must be designed in the way to not work in b/w in case of empty color cartridge...

Good by HP, this was last time buying smtg from HP.

Student
DumpingHP
Message 23 of 65 (5,089 Views)

[ Edited ]

{Content Removed} Long time user of HP printers, never had to have color to print B&W before? Hmmmm. Funny thing about those printers they went away as they always just stopped!  Cheeper to replace than fix. This ink thing is getting out of hand, as are many other things in Corp. America, its all about the bottom line.  {Content Removed} Well off to bed to get up early on a Sat. morning to track down a yellow Cart, Bet I cant buy just one likly a whole set, before my clients show up for their report. I figure with a new cartridge I will be able to turn off color and print again.  Thanks HP, for all the fish! "WE ARE THE PEOPLE" "NEVER PRINT IN COLOR AGAIN"  Ya like that would ever happen, well not with HP anymore.  PS. Will my machine still print if I delete the agitateng software you folks have?  {Content Removed} Hey I do feel better now

Student
oddity
Message 24 of 65 (4,834 Views)

well i guess i wont buy another color ink because i can simply put the file into my phone

Student
ThaTexvirgoM
Message 25 of 65 (4,643 Views)

mikeisawesome wrote:

My printer will not print black and white unless a empty color cartridge is replaced.  I was told there is a setting to fix this in the preferences but i can't find it .

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 26 of 65 (4,639 Views)

ThaTexvirgoM wrote: 

mikeisawesome wrote: My printer will not print black and white unless a empty color cartridge is replaced.  I was told there is a setting to fix this in the preferences but i can't find it .

What printer model? What operating system?  What are you printing?  For some printer models you can select "Print in Grayscale" and "Black ink only" in the driver.  For some models you can remove the color cartridge completely and print grayscale with the black cartridge.  Other models require black and all colors to be available to print anything.

Most HP printers use pigmented black ink that is not compatible with photo paper.  In the case of photo paper selected or automatically detected only color ink will be used.  Additionally, most printers use larger drops of black ink compared to color.  To make better graphics B&W images may be printed with color inks.

The post here has some additional information on the different types of printers.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
FalconHP
Message 27 of 65 (4,200 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a HP LaserJet 200 color MFP M276 PCL 6 I want to know if I Can print black and white with empty color cartridges??

Thanks in advance.

[Personal Information Removed]

Student
laksh1234562
Message 28 of 65 (4,151 Views)

i cant print black nd white please help me i am using hp deskjet 2050 and i have window 7 and installed mirosot office 2010

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 29 of 65 (4,140 Views)

laksh1234562 wrote:

i cant print black nd white please help me i am using hp deskjet 2050 and i have window 7 and installed mirosot office 2010

The Deskjet 2050 will print with the color (or black) cartridge removed.  You can remove the empty color cartridge and print in B&W as discussed on page 31 of the user manual here which says:

Use single-cartridge mode

Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP All-in-One with only one print cartridge.
The single-cartridge mode is initiated when a print cartridge is removed from the print
cartridge carriage. During single-cartridge mode, the product can only print jobs from the
computer.

NOTE: When the HP All-in-One operates in single-cartridge mode, a message is
displayed on screen. If the message is displayed and two print cartridges are installed
in the product, verify that the protective piece of plastic tape has been removed from
each print cartridge. When plastic tape covers the print cartridge contacts, the product
cannot detect that the print cartridge is installed.

Note that the black cartridge is not compatible with photo paper, if you are using photo paper you will need the color cartridge.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
Habi_Time
Message 30 of 65 (4,072 Views)

Hello FalconHP -

I asked our lab to test this question. Their answer: the HP LaserJet 200 color MFP M276 can print B&W even if the color cartridges are empty. They DO have to be in place - it will not print if any cartridges are missing.

Hope that helps.

Note to other readers: this answer is specific to the M276 MFP Laserjet. As Bob pointed out in earlier posts on this thread, HP uses several technologies in their printers, so the answers are not one-size-fits-all.

Habi_Time

I am an HP employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation