Question
Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge
Replies (69)

Teacher
Chrizzy2013
Message 41 of 70 (2,283 Views)

Re: Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

Hello 1600D

Even though you may have chosen black and white in your print options you still use color so that may be why your experiencing some trouble. Please refer to this document for further steps to troubleshoot this print quality issue.

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say “thanks” for helping!
Please mark a reply “Accept as Solution” if it solved your issue so others can find it.
I work on behalf of HP.

Chrizzy
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the KUDOS STAR on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Honor Student
Gary903
Message 42 of 70 (2,024 Views)

Just face facts they have put this in the software so they can make more money,Its not to save your printer that you use at home and many who do have a home printer are people who are on a budget and cannot afford the cost of new HP cartridges, Its simply greed.

Read the forums all over the internet many are just ditching their HP printers because of this and I am joing them I will never ever by a HP printer again after they pulled this stunt, Shame on HP for trying to make mugs out of us all.

Never Again.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 43 of 70 (2,020 Views)

1600D wrote:

1600D is a pretty simple printer.

any way to print color only.

In fact, I bought a new cartridge it still prompts empty cartridge and can not print at all.

Thanks

If your printer is a D1600 series printer then you can use Ink Backup Mode and print with the empty cartridge removed completely.  Page 31 of the user manual here describes ink backup mode, you simply remove the cartridge you do not want to use.  If you have just the black cartridge installed the printer will automatically print in grayscale.  With only the color cartridge installed the printer will render black (by mixing the colors) and color.

Most (all?) of HP inkjet printers from the last five years or so that use two ink cartridges support ink backup mode.

Use ink-backup mode

Use the ink-backup mode to operate the HP Printer with only one print cartridge. The ink backup 

mode is initiated when a print cartridge is removed from the print cartridge carriage. During ink-backup mode, the product can only print jobs from the computer.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
SilviaSound
Message 44 of 70 (1,753 Views)

We just ran into this problem ourselves with our HP OfficeJet 8600. We had a Canon MP530 for a years where we left the color cartridges empty and only used the black ink for our mostly black & white printing. We replaced it with the 8600 because of the reports of extremely efficient B&W printing that it was getting (better than laser). Of course, a few months later, it was found that the testing methodology did not include starting and stopping the printer, only large-batch, continuous printing. The HP 8600 went from the most efficient to the one of the biggest ink-guzzlers.

The other two issues I have had with it have been the scanning resolutions and disk space, and that it cannot print on custom size envelopes.

Presently, it's this one, though; I have color cartridges on the shelf if ever we need to do color printing, but that only occurs a few times a year. I do not want them in the printer, as the printer will just drain their ink. I left the original cartridges in the printer (the ones that are pre-filled with only a tiny bit of ink in them). First, the Y (yellow) one started throwing error messages, but that message could be cleared and printing resumed. Now all of three are claimed to be empty, and my printer simply will not print.

M, C, Y and K are all seperate cartridges. K still has plenty in it, and yes, I am printing with "Black Ink Only". I am not even permitted to do B&W copies. at present. If there is no override, then the one redeeming feature of this printer (low cost B&W) is moot, and I'll have to dump it.

If there is such an override, where can I find it?

Student
InkMaffia
Message 45 of 70 (1,695 Views)

If only that worked on the majority of popular pritners...having to figure out how to get to the store to buy a Magenta cartrige in order to print a single b&w page of text to sign and get back to my lawyer...well, it is more expensive than you might expect.

Student
printblkonly
Message 46 of 70 (1,636 Views)

If you have a print head this solution may work for you.

Or Google 

Solution For HP 8100 HP 8600 ink cartridge depleted

Student
PHdab
Message 47 of 70 (1,489 Views)

I can't make it work either on my HP Officejet Pro 8500

This is one of the reasons (+ many others) that when this printer dies (probably soon) I will never get another HP printer

This is the kind of greedy marketing ploy that turns coustomers against the products.

No support of answers are forthcoming from HP, other than buy buy buy more ink. Then when this printer breaks prematurely you are left with $60 bucks worth of useless ink cartridges. The greed and waste of HP engineering should be a crime. But it isn't and they don't give a hoot about the customer.

SFV Student
Student
SFV
Message 48 of 70 (1,388 Views)

Like everyone else I cant print in B&W because I have no cyan ink left. The offical HP explaination is bull****. Greedy corporation cant wait rip off the customer. Last time I buy a HP printer!

Honor Student
Gary903
Message 49 of 70 (1,374 Views)

Its like buying a car and them telling you what Petrol/Gas to use.

I found somewhat of a fix, What to do is keep pressing the flashing light (The colour cartridge one) and the on/off button

simultaneously for about 30 seconds the light will stop flashing, It will then print a test page, While the test page is printing press print on the document page you want to print after printing the test page it goes to the menu to see if anything else is queued for printing and as long as you have your printing job in the printing menu it will print it.

I have done this quite a few times now and although it wastes ink printing the test pages at least it works and as of now the last 2 printing jobs I done the colour cartridge light as not flashed so I think it maybe fixed or at least confused from all the pressing of the buttons :manlol:

Student
HPSmaychPee
Message 50 of 70 (1,193 Views)

Urrr, his conclusion is totally correct. Just because HP have used an amalgamated print head doesn't mean it's good design and certainly doesn't mean it was designed that way for our benefit.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation