Question
Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge
Replies (69)

Honor Student
o2night
Message 51 of 70 (969 Views)

Re: Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

I know this is not what HP is going ot want to see on this forum, and most probably will delete it.  

The ONLY solution I have found that actually worked for me, and yes, it will eventually probably "ruin" my printhead and printer, and even if it never does, HP will say it will....
....is to put labels (stickers) over the ink holes on each empty color cartridge...2 stickers will do over each to keep them from being punctured by the prinhead and prevent the cartridges from being read as empty.  

Then and ONLY then, have I been able to print with only the black and white cartridge, which is all I do for my business now anyway.
I've had this Officejet 8500 Pro for years now  (since they first came out), and I have replaced so many expensive ink cartridges I could have owned a corporate office sized Canon by now.

Never again.  

Honor Student
flannecl
Message 52 of 70 (866 Views)

HP 6700 has same problem, bet all HP printers do.  HP Printers are cash cows.  I've had mine two years, replaced the color cartridges three times, sitting empty now because I refuse to buy them again since I changed settings to grey scale and have not printed one single page in color and have printed less than 30 pages in black and still say I need yellow and cyan cartridges.   I put the old ones in and it comes up with a message I never saw before, says color is out but press ok to contine to print in black, which is what I wanted anyway.  It prints about 3 more times then goes back to the same old message to replace the color and won't print anything now.  If it let me bypass color once, twice, why not ALL the time!?  Why doesn't the HP support that answers the forum just admit HP has a cash cow printer scam going?  Or how about providing a REAL solution that will FIX the problem?  Or how about selling a BLACK AND WHITE printer ONLY, that never requires color cartridges?  Oh, wait, that would deplete the cash cow.  I'm so turned off I'd like to sell my HP laptop and never purchase HP again!

Top Student
gundy2
Message 53 of 70 (825 Views)

Can't print black and white with empty color cartridge

[ Edited ]

This works for HP Color Laser 2600 series printers and possibly others. Worth a shot AND you can still print in color by choosing color from the printer preferences menu before you print. Then just change the cartridges when the respective color begins to get lighter.

Re: How can I use HP 2605DN as black printer when color toner cartridges are empty?
‎07-02-2009 06:48 PM

You need to change the replace supplies option from "stop at out" to "override out".

Go to the printer and use the buttons to select as follows:

system setup -> print quality -> replace supplies

Change from "stop at out" to "override out".

Credit goes to user "billfff" who posted this on another thread.

Honor Student
flannecl
Message 54 of 70 (814 Views)

no, I don't have any of those settings or options on the printer itself.

Top Student
gundy2
Message 55 of 70 (811 Views)

The answer was provided in a string for the referenced HP 2605DN color laser and I have a HP 2600N color laser so I figured it would work for others in the same series IF your printer has a usable menu. The exact commands/phrases may be different on other printers but it seems like there could possibly be a solution there if you play around with it or check the manual for commands/settings that are available to change on your respective printer.

Top Student
gundy2
Message 56 of 70 (797 Views)

[ Edited ]

UPDATE

Did some experimenting with other HP printers and they all have the override function in one form or another that lets you continue printing when any of the cartridges registers as "out" (wether they actually are or not). Below are the procedures for some other HP laser jet printers (remember these actions are performed ON THE PRINTER, not your computer).

HP 4250dtn

Push the menu/select button (green button with checkmark).

Using the arrow buttons, scroll to "configure device" and push the menu/select button.

Scroll to "system setup" and press menu/select button.

Scroll to "cartridge out" and press menu/select button.

Scroll to "continue" and press menu/select button which will then set your printer to override the empty cartridge issue.

When finished, keep pushing the return button ("u-turn arrow" button) to get back to the beginning.

Also for this printer, check the "cartridge low" setting in the system setup so it is set to "continue" as well.

HP CP4005dn

Push the menu/select button (green button with checkmark).

Using the arrow buttons, scroll to "configure device" and push the menu/select button.

Scroll to "auto continue" and press menu/select button.

Scroll to "on" and press menu/select button.

Also in system setup, make sure "replace supplies" and "color supplies out" are set to "on/override" (if needed).

When finished, keep pushing the return button ("u-turn arrow" button) to get back to the beginning.

HP P4014n

Push the menu/select button (square button with "ok").

Scroll to "auto continue" and press menu/select button.

Scroll to "on" and press menu/select button.

Also in system setup, make sure "replace black cartridge" is set to "override" (if desired to get max use from cartridge).

Hope this helps.

Student
ntaylor
Message 57 of 70 (654 Views)

HP has permanantely lost my business over this issue... I suggest you all look at cannon printers... way better product

Honor Student
am_am
Message 58 of 70 (538 Views)

I wish HP acknowledged the design flaw instead of continuing fooling the customers. The volume of customers who have raised this concern should help HP to realize and acknowledge design flaw and offer firmwire update to circumvent this limitation. The fact is with this approach, HP is neither guaranting printer health (and quality) in the long run nor retaining customer loyalty.  No customer feels empowered and enlightened to not be able to print at the moment of need for such a "stupid" design limitation and neither changes the cartridges instantly. How does that help the cause (drying heads)? This problem is highlighted for number of years now on multitude of printers. STOP justifying by design claims. Learn to meet and exceed customers' expectations and natural usage needs. If a color printer cannot maintain itself to print B&W from a black cartridge - that is a design flaw and the maker must fix it. No excuses.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 59 of 70 (533 Views)

am_am wrote:

I wish HP acknowledged the design flaw instead of continuing fooling the customers. The volume of customers who have raised this concern should help HP to realize and acknowledge design flaw and offer firmwire update to circumvent this limitation. The fact is with this approach, HP is neither guaranting printer health (and quality) in the long run nor retaining customer loyalty.  No customer feels empowered and enlightened to not be able to print at the moment of need for such a "stupid" design limitation and neither changes the cartridges instantly. How does that help the cause (drying heads)? This problem is highlighted for number of years now on multitude of printers. STOP justifying by design claims. Learn to meet and exceed customers' expectations and natural usage needs. If a color printer cannot maintain itself to print B&W from a black cartridge - that is a design flaw and the maker must fix it. No excuses.

The printheads are capped to keep from drying out when not printing.  If the printer is printing (even if printing black only) the color printhead is waving around in the air, and may dry out.  For printers that use integrated printheads (ink supplies and printheads on the same cartridge) this does not matter, since the printhead will be replaced when the cartridge is replaced.  For printers with permanant or semi-permanant printheads it *does* matter, whether the printer is from HP or another manufacturer. Allowing the printhead to dry out can can require printhead replacement (if a replaceable printhead) or service (if a permanant printhead).  Not printing when the ink is depleted allows the printhead to stay in the capping station where it will not dry out.

See the document here for information on how ink is used.  The principles there apply to HP printers as well as others.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
am_am
Message 60 of 70 (525 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bob_Headrick wrote:

am_am wrote:

The printheads are capped to keep from drying out when not printing.  If the printer is printing (even if printing black only) the color printhead is waving around in the air, and may dry out.  For printers that use integrated printheads (ink supplies and printheads on the same cartridge) this does not matter, since the printhead will be replaced when the cartridge is replaced.  For printers with permanant or semi-permanant printheads it *does* matter, whether the printer is from HP or another manufacturer. Allowing the printhead to dry out can can require printhead replacement (if a replaceable printhead) or service (if a permanant printhead).  Not printing when the ink is depleted allows the printhead to stay in the capping station where it will not dry out.

See the document here for information on how ink is used.  The principles there apply to HP printers as well as others.  

OK. So, it is obvious, the response is more like, "we told you so, we told you so, we told you so! Get it now, keep spending money because we cannot/will not design smarter product until China/Tiwan/Alibaba will solve your problem and take our business, market and future away and then, we can come back to blame everyone else!"  This is a design issue - customers must not be held hostage to it, if loyalty matters and if HP wants to claim "Technology/market leadership". I will be happy getting no response than the repeat of what is a "recorded message" of the kind "This is the technology; believe me and spend".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation