Question

Honor Student
HeadRed
Message 1 of 9 (2,683 Views)

Can't print from Windows Explorer

After installing the "HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a", on a Windows 7 64-bit PC, that is Ethernet connected, I get the following error message:

Script Error

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 2061

Char: 1

Error: Invalid procedure call or argument

Code: 0

URL: res://ieframe.dll/preview.js

When I try to print from Windows Explorer; however, I can print from other applications such as Word and Quicken OK, and I can print from Explorer OK from a Windows XP PC. Anyone have any suggestions?

Master's Graduate
prabaa
Message 2 of 9 (2,598 Views)

Re: Can't print from Windows Explorer

Hi,

From your message, it seems that you have installed the hp software sucessfully and working on other applications.

The issue is with Internet explorer.  you may upgrade the Internet explorer (Go to Tools-> Windows update).

Or use other browsers like chrome or firefox. Download and install. It should work.

happy printing

Praba

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the left to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

Honor Student
HeadRed
Message 3 of 9 (2,592 Views)

Hi Praba,

Performed Windows update and reinstalled driver from Windows as suggested but nothing has changed. Already installed Firefox but don't like its operation and limitations, however it does allow printing to the 8600. My USB connected Canon printer operates OK from Explorer 9. Seems to me HP needs to make their driver compatible with Explorer 9. I also selected Internet Explorer vs. Internet Explorer (64) as was suggested in an other tread but it didn't solve the problem. I guest I'll have wait for either HP or MS to come up with a solution in the mean time I'll have deal with my frustrations.

Master's Graduate
prabaa
Message 4 of 9 (2,577 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

It was reported as a issue by Microsoft and a hotfix has been issued by Microsoft.

Here is the link to get the fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2652062

it will resolve your problem

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the left to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

Intern
DanSmith
Message 5 of 9 (2,506 Views)

The issue is caused when Windows creates the printer profile in the control panel that it doesn't correctly create it with the drivers.

We're not going to completely uninstall all the HP software, instead we're going to remove the corrupt Windows printer profile and reinstall it.  Total time for this on an average computer is about 5-10 minutes to completely repair (including reboot).

1) Navigate to Start Menu > Devices and Printers or Start Menu > Control Panel > Printers

2) Select each printer profile for the printer with an issue, then select remove device/printer.

3) Reboot

4) Navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > HP > insert model # here > Add Printer (or Setup Wizard)

5) Follow the setup prompts to reinstall the printer profile and it recreates the Windows printer.

6) Test by printing google.com (uses very little ink when the test page comes out).

Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Thanks,

Dan

I work for an internation tech company and personally perform thousands of computer repairs a year. I'm based out of the US working for a US company, and have been working on computers for over 13 years.

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
Top Student
Bill_Sanderson
Message 6 of 9 (1,607 Views)

I'm sure everyone here means well, but I have tried all the steps in this thread including the above suggestion to blow away the windows profile for the printer and re-create it, and there's no change to the behavior.

If I switch to a different printer as default, the crash does not happen.

This seems squarely in HP's ball park to me.  Please stop blaming Microsoft and give us a set of drivers for this device that work.  Windows 7 64 bit fully patched to date.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 7 of 9 (1,596 Views)

@Bill_Sanderson, sorry that you are experiencing this issue. What type of printer do you have?

If you are getting a script error, try to clear our your CACHE and COOKIES. 

Have you tried downloading an alternative driver. (Shane_R) has a great post on how to do so. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/How-to-Assign-Alterna...

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Top Student
Bill_Sanderson
Message 8 of 9 (1,570 Views)

I have an HP8600 n911 as specified in the first message in the thread.

I am not getting script errors, just crashes in internet Explorer.  I'll look at your reference--that sounds worth pursuing.

I am not having trouble with other windows 7 machines, windows 8 machines, or macs...just my wife's windows 7 Lenovo Thinkpad...

Printing from all other applications is fine--the issue is with printing web content from IE.  Yes, she can use Firefox or Chrome to print, but she'd prefer to use the brower she is accustomed to.

Bill

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 9 of 9 (1,565 Views)

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing? The driver may have been corrupted, if you were able to print from IE before. 

Let me know if it works. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation