Question

Tutor
LRaiz
Message 1 of 6 (1,770 Views)

Cannot print checks on preprinted paper

I recently purchased HP Officejet 6500A Plus and have problems trying to print checks from Quicken. Actual error message is "paper size or type is incorrect".  I am printing on preprinted checks and don't believe that a problem has anything to do with page size. Here are things that I verified in my attempts to narrow down the problem. 

• Printing checks does work if I use the same paper but turn pages upside down.
  • If I print first from Quicken to pdf and then print from pdf viewer the problem persists which eliminates Quicken as the source of problem.

I googled the problem and found out that other people have this problem not only with Quicken but with Quickbooks as well and is not limited to 6500A Plus. The problem also seems to be related to paper that is used for preprinted check forms. I have tried various setting in the printer properties dialog to indicate different media type. Attempted to use settings for glossy, color, and preprinted paper but without success. The only workaround that seems to help is to tape a piece of plain paper to the start of first page.  This is definitely a pain. Apparently the problem has something to do with an "eye" HP printers use to see paper type. If paper is too glossy (or something like it) printer refuses to use it and unfortunately I can't find a way to override automatic paper rejection.

Is there something I could do to address the issue?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (1,759 Views)

Re: Cannot print checks on preprinted paper

I do not know if this will help, but try changing the paper type from "Automatic" to "Plain Paper".  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
LRaiz
Message 3 of 6 (1,752 Views)

[ Edited ]

Changing media type to Plain does not work either.

Student
HuskerMeiz
Message 4 of 6 (1,723 Views)

Try printing them in Draft mode.  :smileywink:

Honor Student
Calicinto
Message 5 of 6 (1,500 Views)

I have this problem as well. Changing the type of paper to "other inkjet paper" seems to work sometimes, but it is not consistent.

I have had to print the check on plain paper, then copy it to my check.  Oddly enough, the pritner will accept the preprinted form that way.

Honor Student
Calicinto
Message 6 of 6 (1,500 Views)

Addendum to first message: When using Quickbooks, as well as other programs, the feed is facedown, so the finish of the paper should not be a problem. Again, usually the first check has the problem. The next ones seem to go through all right, as long as they are in sequence. If the printer has a chance to re-set itself, the problem comes up again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation