Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have had my 6500 Wireless for only a few months, but have had the same problem more than once. After replacing an ink cartridge with a new one, following the instructions to the letter, I get a scrolling message that says: The following Ink Cartridges appear to be missing or damaged: black [K] (or other colors). At times I have gotten it to work by taking them out and putting them in many times. Last time, with the black cartridge, I was in the middle of a call with HP support whe I leaned over the printer to read the serial number off the back, and somehow when I put my weight on the printer, it suddenly worked. This time, no matter what I do, I cannot get the printer to recognize the brand-new black cartridge, or a second new one that I tried. Of course I have gone meticulously through the HP troubleshooting procedure. Nothing.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Is it possible that the printer is bad?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have had this printer for about 6 months.

Both times I have replaced with Genuine HP ink cartridges this has happend.

Both times the fix has been this:  on the top of the cartridge, where you pull off the plastic, is an air channel that runs across the top of the cartridge.  The first time the plastic did not pull off cleanly and there were bits plugging the channel.

The second time, the plastic pulled off the straight channel, but where it runs into a bunch of S-shaped curves it looked blocked.

I poked a tiny hole with a pin in the first S-curve through the plastic and the cartridge worked.

The channel must be open or the ink cannot drain into the printer- it creates a vacuum.

This is a manufacturing defect and HP should look into fixing it.

For others finding this forum, get a small, sharp pin and open that channel and try it again.. just be careful not to collapse the plastic in the air channel and plug it up worse..

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended
I have the same problem with the sameprinter--have already exchanged my cyan cartridge twice, gone through all the online support things, etc. I'll re-post if I find a solution. Maybe there is a bad batch of HP cartridges??  Mary
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and posted today on it ( 1-02-2010)   Couldn't find my post but found yours. I clean the little window as recommended, as you did apparently, and now I have a cyan that simply the 6500 won't accept.

I'm getting REALLY discouraged on this and, given the price of printers, I'm about ready to see if I can sell or give away the 6500 and go to one of Canon's new All-in-One's...they have like a 620 or 40 that looks good and I've had great luck with Canon printers. This time I went back to HP and this ink thing is enough to make me chuck it. After all, one purchase of a ink would buy a new printer from a different manufacturer.

What also bugs me is that I can't complain via email directly to HP. I have to go through this Forum. Any solutions yet?

Wordchipper

HP Recommended

@Wordchipper wrote:

What also bugs me is that I can't complain via email directly to HP. I have to go through this Forum. Any solutions yet?

This forum is a user to user forum, it is not a link to HP support.  To contact HP by email, phone or chat see the link here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have had this printer for about 6 months.

Both times I have replaced with Genuine HP ink cartridges this has happend.

Both times the fix has been this:  on the top of the cartridge, where you pull off the plastic, is an air channel that runs across the top of the cartridge.  The first time the plastic did not pull off cleanly and there were bits plugging the channel.

The second time, the plastic pulled off the straight channel, but where it runs into a bunch of S-shaped curves it looked blocked.

I poked a tiny hole with a pin in the first S-curve through the plastic and the cartridge worked.

The channel must be open or the ink cannot drain into the printer- it creates a vacuum.

This is a manufacturing defect and HP should look into fixing it.

For others finding this forum, get a small, sharp pin and open that channel and try it again.. just be careful not to collapse the plastic in the air channel and plug it up worse..

HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your post! I returned one cyan cartridge and got the same 'missing or damaged' error when I installed the second one. I used a push pin as you described and it now works perfectly! Good luck to anyone else who encounters this frustrating issue.

HP Recommended

Using the PUSH PIN is the ANSWER!

HP Recommended

i had been recieving the same error code on our printer. I even tried a new ink cartridge and also tried the push pin and still.. same error code. I finally called HP support. Told me the print head might be dirty. They walked me through the steps and it fixed my problem.

this is the link on how to clean the printhead..it has the same exact instructions as they gave me through phone support:

how to clean printhead

hope this helps

HP Recommended

Thank You! Thank You! SO much appreciated - I had been turning it on and off and each time a different cartridge would be a problem! After pricking just the one cartridge all the nonsense stopped and it is working again!  Now at least we have four full cartridges and no problems for a while!

HP Recommended

I tried this and it worked.  Thanks for the tip!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.