Cartridges don't last half as long as promised [HP Officejet 6500 E709n] (2954 Views)
Honor Student
StoopidFormular
Message 1 of 12 (2,954 Views)

Cartridges don't last half as long as promised [HP Officejet 6500 E709n]

Hi,

a couple of months ago I bought a HP Officejet 6500 E709n. I chose this device as I read many comments and tests that praised its economic use of ink and its printing quality despite its low ink usage. Most tests stated it would be as economic as a laser printer and the print quality was almost as good.

The cartridges that came with it didn't last a week, the color cartridges may have sufficed for 15 pages with about 10 percent of coverage per color (test pages). Neither did the initial black cartridge last much longer. This is ridiculous, but well, I thought maybe that's how HP **bleep**s on treats new customers, as most greedy manufacturers do nowadays...

Anyway, I bought a complete pack of the original HP 920 XL cartridges, the black XL cartridge promising up to 1.200 pages, and the color XL cartridges were offered with up to 700 pages each, I think.

Now, I rarely ever print color, no photos or such. The only color prints I have done so far were test pages when I installed the printer to a computer in the network. I mostly copy or print b/w prints, occasionally with a tiny colored logo or something somewhere on the page. As the average, the ink covers maybe 10 to 25 percent of the paper. I guess all together there were about 20 or 30 pages that had more color on them (test pages, mainly).

Well, I haven't even used half a pack of paper (500 sheets A4), and the printer is already complaining about low ink, and shows almost empty cartridges on the display as well as in the web interface. You can actually see the color cartridges becoming more and more empty, even though I don't print color. Is this normal? Compared to the tests and comments on the printer I had read before the purchase, this is pure ridicule. The black cartridge is still displayed as about half full, though, which is still much more ink spilling than I expected.

Even after only 1 or 2 pages, the printer cleans its heads, and apparently it does so every time I switch it on (soft power-on, from stand-by mode). So when I print 4 or 5 single pages with a pause of about an hour between them, the printer does its nozzle cleaning and spill-ink-to-nirvana procedure 5 or 6 times a day, if not more.

Is there anything I can do about this? I recently contacted a ink cartridge retailer and mentioned the high ink dissipation, and the person suggested configuring the nozzle cleaning intervals to every two weeks, which would be possible to be set up in many printers. Does this apply to this printer? I couldn't find such an option in the print menu, and neither in the web interface.

What else could I do? I already set the driver options in HPLIP/CUPS to use the Draft mode as a standard, though, I don't see a difference between Draft and Normal mode. And still, I don't see how the color cartridges can actually be emptied when only printing black text.

Please advise. Could there something wrong the printer or any hidden settings? If this is all normal, I don't see a point in keeping this printer, or buy another HP in the future, for that matter. Spilling most of its ink instead of using it for actual printouts is something that my old Epson printer did just as well.

Thanks,

SF

P.S.: I know that HP's values on how many pages can be printed with a cartridge assume an ink coverage of 15 percent for black and 5 percent for each color. And I took that into account for my estimates and expectations.

P.P.S.: I also found this -- eventually unanswered -- forum post about the same printer with the same problem, and I noted the notes on how ink is used. In my opinion, that still doesn't explain the massive ink dissipation.

Student
sandihudson
Message 2 of 12 (2,774 Views)

Re: Cartridges don't last half as long as promised [HP Officejet 6500 E709n]

SF,

Did you ever get a response on this? I'm getting even worse performance from ink than you are. A black cartridge lasts about a week, the colors maybe 2 weeks. I print perhaps 100 copies a week, mostly in black on draft quality.

I'm curious if others have noticed this?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 12 (2,765 Views)

I would suggest a few things:  first, replace the cartrdiges when the print quality deteriorates, not when the first warning happens.  The warning is set to be sure to give a warning before the ink runs out so you have time to get a replacement.  You do not need to replace the cartridge when you first get the message.

Next, do not run cleaning cycles on the printer unless print quality deteriorates.  Running unneeded cleaning cycles uses ink unnecessarily.

Do not turn the printer off with an external switch.  If an external switch (such as a power outlet switch or a power director switch) is used extra servicing will be used.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
StoopidFormular
Message 4 of 12 (2,761 Views)

Hello sandihudson,

nope, I never got any reply on this, unfortunately. And in the meantime the printer continues to clean it's nozzles every time when switched on, and again about 15 or 20 seconds after every printing job, draining the cartridges beyond reason if I'm not fast enough to print or copy anything else right afterwards and thus force postpone the nozzle cleaning a bit. I imagine there must be an ocean of dried out ink somewhere in the printer.

I'm sorry that this is even worse for you. But here, it seems, we cannot hope for any help. That's »HP Total Care« for you, I suppose... :smileysad:

If you are talking about normally purchased cartridges (not the initial pack that were delivered with the printer) then this clearly sounds like a defect, much more clearly even than in my case. Would you also blame those excessive nozzle cleaning procedures for the massive ink dissipation?

All this doesn't speak in favor of HP.

Honor Student
StoopidFormular
Message 5 of 12 (2,754 Views)

[ Edited ]

Oh, well, so there is indeed life here. Thank you for your reply, Bob.

How can I avoid the cleaning cycles? As stated in my previous posts, the printer cleans every single time I switch it on via the softbutton (no external switch or anything, printer is connected to power supply at all times), and about 20 seconds after every printing job. Automatically. I cannot control that.

And even if I did not put it to stand-by via the softbutton, it would still run a nozzle cleaning before a printing job gets passed through when it has been idle for a couple of hours.

So, while you're here, any hints on how to control that?

As for the time of replacing the cartridges as you suggested: Nice hint; though, I wouldn't have it done any other way, as a pure matter of principle. Still strange that the display should show a "replace magenta" message when, theoretically and as advertised, the cartridge should still have about 90 per cent of its ink.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 12 (2,746 Views)

I really do not have many other suggestions.  I leave my printer on all the time to reduce the servicing that happens when the printer is turned on.  It automatically goes into a low power mode so this is not really an issue.  (Most HP inkjet printers there days have the "Energy Star" certification.)

There is not any user control of the servicing, other than being aware of your printing habits.  Many short print jobs are worse than a few longer jobs for example.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
geschuster
Message 7 of 12 (2,381 Views)

We unfortunately  live in a time when the bottom line drives the many business decisions not the interest in offereing the best product possible.  The engineering today is so precise and integrated into the business process that a "what if" drill concerning something such as an engineering change to cartridge life can immediately expressed interms of a net gain in company revenue.  Manfacturers of light bulbs for example could effect so much precision over the production of light bulds as to offer the one year 22 and one half day 15 minute light bulb.  The 6500 cartridge has fallen victim to this process. 

Top Student
SGA2
Message 8 of 12 (2,010 Views)

I have this same problem (with hp Officejet6500A Plus) although I (unhappily) don't turn off the printer to try to prevent it constantly cleaning itself. 

My full ink set lasted about three weeks, even though I very rarely print more than 10 sheets a day, and usually use draft quality greyscale.  I didn't print any photos in that time.

I think this is really poor performance from hp, and I feel cheated.

Honor Student
StoopidFormular
Message 9 of 12 (2,003 Views)

SGA2 wrote:

Spoiler
I think this is really poor performance from hp, and I feel cheated.

Yap, I second that. The sad thing is that the people at HP apparently don't even give a **bleep**. Ever since I asked this question here, I wondered why they even had this 'HP Support Forum'...

Student
traffin
Message 10 of 12 (1,929 Views)

i bought my 6500A plus at Costcos and it is doing the same thing. this is not the first big item I purchased at Costco and had trouble with. I'm beginning to think they purchase problem merchandise to sell at retail. I'm very dissatisfied with this product and will be very selective and cautious when purchasing anything else from them.

I used to love Costcos, but I'm beginning to rethink my position on them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation