Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I want to change the default printing shortcut.  It is currently set to "General Everyday Printing".  I would like to change it to "Fast/Economical Printng".  When I go to Preferences, Printing Shortcuts tab, and click on "Fast/Economical Printing" there is no option to make this the default shortcut.  When I click on "General Everyday Printing", change the features to resemble Fast & Economical printing, it will only save the new features under a new name, but not as a default.  

I have an All in One J6480

Message Edited by Holmanranch on 03-21-2009 10:04 AM
Message Edited by Holmanranch on 03-21-2009 10:04 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ran into the same problem with my HP F4280 All in One and figured out what the problem was.  I'm using Windows 7 so the following steps work for that OS though its probably similar for Vista users.

Click on the Pearl Icon (Start) and choose Devices and Printers

Double click on your printer's icon to open the HP Center

Under Printer Actions click on the Customize your Printer link

Click on the Advanced Tab

Click on the Printing Defaults button (lower left corner)

If you haven't done so already, create a custom Shortcut by modifying one of HP's defaults and then choose Save As

Choose your Shortcut in the list and then press the Apply button

Press the OK button and you will return to the HP Center

Close the HP Center (X in top right corner)

Now this is where I ran into problems... If the program you're printing from is currently open (Photoshop in my case) the default print settings will NOT change until you restart the program. Restart your program (Web browser, Photoshop, Paint etc.) and now your printing defaults should be updated to use your custom shortcut as the default.

Hopefully this will help some of you who have been having problems.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended
I'm assuming you're using Windows. so open Control Panel, open Printers/Printers and Faxes. Right click on the J6400 series printer icon and select Printing Preferences. All changes made here will be saved as the default print settings.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended
I did as you said but it doesn't default to the preference I've chosen and reverts back to fast/economical printing.  I have to choose my favorite customized setup on each printing job.  I'm running Windows XP Home.
HP Recommended

you can use the HP Driver Preconfigurator to remove or modify the default Printing Shortcuts. As well you can create new own Printing shortcuts. Download the tool here: http://www.hp.com/go/hpdpc_sw

cheers

HP Recommended

A couple of us are having a similar issue with a C4580 printer:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Printing&message.id=8611#M8611

The tool you provide a link to does not appear to have a Vista-cmpatible version, or will the XP version work with Vista, too?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I solved my issue with the C7280. Got an email back in early August that was a routine alert for the drivers to make it function 'properly'. No detail as to what it 'fixed' so I just filed the email. A couple of weeks ago I decided to go ahead and install it and guess what? All the printing shortcuts stay the way I modify them and I can make them the default. I  am sorry but I don't have the version,etc of the driver I installed but I am sure you can find it on HP on the 'download' driver page. 

terrib

HP Recommended

terrib,

Thanks for your post.  However, I am using the latest driver for my printer (a C4580), as confirmed by HP support staff, and there are no other drivers listed for that printer.

One day they might get round to "fixing" the driver for the C4580...

HP Recommended

Frank ,

Oops...my bad....I meant to reply to the general topic and not your post about the particular printer. NOW that they have fixed the C7280 they need to fix your model. I know how   frustrating it is.

terrib

HP Recommended

Try these steps

1. Open Printing Preferences for the printer

2. Under the Printing Shortcuts tab select the shortcut that you would like to be the default

3. Click the Features tab, All the settings under the feature tab should mirror the shortcut settings that you have chosen.

4. Click Apply then ok to close out of Printing Preferences. Open Printing Preferences, Go to the features tab and check if the settings actually sticked

Let me know if this worked

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
HP Recommended

Binary Zen,

Thanks, but that only works for the currently selected Printing Shortcut.  Following your instructions for , say, "General everyday Printing", after going back into the Printing Preferences afer saving, if you select another Printing Shortcut (say "Fast/Economical Printing") and then back onto "General everyday Printing", the papaer size reverts to "Letter".

Like most people in the UK, I NEVER use "Leeter" size paper.  Why is there no way to save changes to the default "Printing Shortcuts" in Vista (I believe you can in XP)?  If I pick any of the shortcuts, I have to remember to change the paper size each time.

I have been in lengthy conversations with HP support staff, and the best they can come up with is to use the generic c990 printer driver (which obviously has limited functionality).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.