Color Laserjet 4500 on Windows 7 - 64 bit > Share with XP - 32 bit > Need Additional 32-bit Drivers (4180 Views)
Tutor
otisalex
Message 1 of 10 (4,180 Views)
Accepted Solution

Color Laserjet 4500 on Windows 7 - 64 bit > Share with XP - 32 bit > Need Additional 32-bit Drivers

Here's the setup:

Desktop: Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit with Color Laserjet 4500, shared, connected and working fine. The name of the driver is HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 5.

Laptop: Windows XP Professional - 32 bit.

No network problems. Laptop sees the printer, but can't connect without the correct additional 32-bit drivers installed on the desktop. The only drivers I've been able to find are listed here. When I try to add under host printer properties/sharing/additional drivers, none of the downloaded .inf files are accepted.

Since Windows 7 installed a perfectly good 64-bit driver, there must be a compatible 32-bit driver that cab be added to allow the XP laptop to connect to this printer- but I have not been able to find it!

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Rob

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 10 (4,170 Views)

Re: Color Laserjet 4500 on Windows 7 - 64 bit > Share with XP - 32 bit > Need Additional 32-bi

The 32 bit XP drivers are available here.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Tutor
otisalex
Message 3 of 10 (4,161 Views)

Re: Color Laserjet 4500 on Windows 7 - 64 bit > Share with XP - 32 bit > Need Additional 32-bi

Thanks Bob. I tried both the PCL 5c and PCL 6 drivers. When I point Windows 7 to the .inf file I still get:

"The specified location does not contain the driver HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 5 for the requested processor architecture."

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! I do know that in order to add an additional driver, the name of the 64-bit Windows 7 driver (HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 5) and the added 32-bit driver must match exactly.

Rob

Tutor
otisalex
Message 4 of 10 (4,154 Views)

I edited the following 2 lines in the hpbf231i.inf file as follows, so the names match:

Printer="HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 5"
DiskID1="HP Color LaserJet 4500 PCL 5 Printer Driver Disk

Now I'm getting a different error:

"The selected driver must be installed remotely from a x86 computer using Type 3 (user mode) drivers.

Tutor
otisalex
Message 5 of 10 (4,148 Views)

I got it to work:

I copied the extracted driver files (with the modified hpbf231i.inf file) to the client XP laptop.

I used "Add A Printer" on the laptop, installed as a network printer, pointed to the shared printer, and when prompted, pointed to the hpbf231i.inf file on the laptop.

What a time eating P.I.T.A.! But it works!

Rob

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 10 (4,142 Views)

I would suggest installing the PCL6 driver on your XP machine, then on the XP machine do the following:  Start, Settings, Printers and Faxes, Add a Printer, Next, Local Printer, Next, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, Have Disk, point to the directory where the driver was installed (default C:\clj4500pcl6win2kxp).

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 10 (4,141 Views)

Never mind, I see you got it.  That's what happens here when I start to reply and then get distracted in mid response :-). 

Tutor
otisalex
Message 8 of 10 (4,117 Views)

Thanks, Bob! Actually I aready switched it over to your suggested configuration, using the PCL 6 drivers. It works either way. Any particular advantage to either setup? Is the PCL 6 a better/newer driver?

Rob

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 10 (4,110 Views)

There is no particular advantage to either method once you get things set up.  The second method may be easier to set up as you do not have to edit the files. 

As for the choices between the PCL6, PCL 5 or PS files, here is what HP says.

Tutor
otisalex
Message 10 of 10 (4,105 Views)

Thanks so much for your excellent help, Bob! :smileyhappy:

The Win7 driver on the Desktop machine is PCL 5, so with this setup I've got both drivers available if I happen upon an application that works better on one.

Rob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation