Question

Honor Student
Chemainiac
Message 1 of 5 (2,969 Views)

Color ink cartridge won't print

I have had a color ink cartridge in my All-In-One for some time, it has printed in color before.  Now it won't print in color.  I cleaned the contacts and this has made no difference.  The ink level display shows the color cartridge to be half full.  I don't know what else to do.  Any help would be appreciated!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (2,958 Views)

Re: Color ink cartridge won't print

Please read this post then provide some details. What printer model?  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Chemainiac
Message 3 of 5 (2,937 Views)

Thank you for your response Bob.  My printer is an Officejet 6310 All-In-One.  My computer is a Toshiba Satellite using Internet Explorer.  The printer is connected by USB.  I have not noticed any error messages on the printer.  

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 5 (2,930 Views)

Print a test page as shown in step 4 here.  If there is no color then remove the color cartridge and gently blot the printhead on a damp tissue.  There should be strong stripes of cyan, magenta and yellow in the tissue.  If there is not the cartridge is at issue.  This could be caused by switching off the power from an external power switch allowing the cartridge to dry out, or from a defective cartridge.

In this case there are a couple things to check.  First make sure the clear nozzle tape has been removed form the printhead.  Sometimes the pull tab breaks free from the tape leaving the tape covering the nozzles.  If this is OK then as a last resort you can try soaking the printhead in about 1" of very hot water for about 5 minutes, then gently blot the excess water from the cartridge with a damp tissue. 

If the above does not help and the cartridge is an original HP (not a refill or reman) then check the warranty as shown here and if in warranty contact HP or your dealer for a replacement.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Chemainiac
Message 5 of 5 (2,917 Views)

I followed pretty well everything you suggested Bob with no luck.  I gave you a Kudos for your final suggestion of placing the cartridge in very hot water for 5 minutes, although the graphic of a red tomato that I used as a test subject came out green instead of red... at least it printed in color at last!  I tried soaking the cartridge again to see if I could get red but no luck.  I have had the cartridge for quite a long time so I guess it was time to buy a new color cartridge to get true colors. Thanks again for your help, keep up the good work!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation