Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 7, Home 64.  I also have a desktop running Windows XP.  I would like to convert my LaserJet 6L to connect via a USB cable and connect it to both PC's.  I purchased a Cables to Go USB to C36 Parallel adaptor but all print jobs fail when following the USB cable installation instructions.  Is there something I need to do to upgrade my LaserJet?  I upgraded drivers from the HP website before installing the USB cable.   Any info would be appreciated.  thanks

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Is the 6L installed correctly in the Devices and Printers?

What port is the 6L using?

All the drivers necessary for the adapter come with Win7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

thanks for the quick reply.  I do not yet have the Windows 7 laptop.  It will be delivered in May.  I was initially trying to connect the 6L to my Dell, Windows XP desktop using the new cable.   Windows XP did create a USB port and identifed the 6L but all print failed.  The operating system looks like it properly identifed the USB cable.  I also tried adding a generic LaserJet printer using that new USB Port but that did not work either.  I think my problem lies within the printer or drivers. 

HP Recommended

Does the 6L self-test print?

Disconnect the USB adapter from the XP computer and re-connect it, what happens?

What SP is on the XP computer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I self tested twice and both worked.    I disconnected the USB adaptor no less than 5-6 times with the same results.   I am running SP3. 

I tried to completely back out and start all over but I was not allowed to delete the new USB port that was created when Windows XP identifed the cable. 

Also, I tried the new cable on my company laptop which also runs Win XP, SP3 with the same error results.

I was going to return the new cable until I saw your note about Win 7.  At worse case I can connect and reconnect the Parallel cable to run the printer with my desktop and use the new cable to connect the new laptop that is coming.  However, I would really like to run them both via USB.    thanks again for your input.

HP Recommended

What happens if you connect the Adapter without being connected to the 6L?

You may also want to look at another adapter. (StarTech ICUSB1284)

HP Recommended

I connected the cable without attaching and saw no response from the Dell.   Nothing good or bad.  I reconnected it to the printer with all the queues drained.  I sent a document to it and the document is sitting in the queue with a  "Printing" status.  I pressed the printer bar just under the status lights (front of printer) and it printed a test page. 

HP Recommended

Do you see a new USB device in the Device Manager?

HP Recommended

Yes

HP Recommended

I have checked all USB controllers, including the USB Adaptor cable and they all report that they are working properly.  I am running through the Device Manager troubleshooting steps now but so far all looks as if it is working properly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.