Question

Top Student
ShadowLP
Message 1 of 30 (11,187 Views)

Connecting a LaserJet 6L using a USB cable

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 7, Home 64.  I also have a desktop running Windows XP.  I would like to convert my LaserJet 6L to connect via a USB cable and connect it to both PC's.  I purchased a Cables to Go USB to C36 Parallel adaptor but all print jobs fail when following the USB cable installation instructions.  Is there something I need to do to upgrade my LaserJet?  I upgraded drivers from the HP website before installing the USB cable.   Any info would be appreciated.  thanks

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 30 (11,183 Views)

Re: Connecting a LaserJet 6L using a USB cable

Is the 6L installed correctly in the Devices and Printers?

What port is the 6L using?

All the drivers necessary for the adapter come with Win7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
ShadowLP
Message 3 of 30 (11,177 Views)

[ Edited ]

thanks for the quick reply.  I do not yet have the Windows 7 laptop.  It will be delivered in May.  I was initially trying to connect the 6L to my Dell, Windows XP desktop using the new cable.   Windows XP did create a USB port and identifed the 6L but all print failed.  The operating system looks like it properly identifed the USB cable.  I also tried adding a generic LaserJet printer using that new USB Port but that did not work either.  I think my problem lies within the printer or drivers. 

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 4 of 30 (11,170 Views)

Does the 6L self-test print?

Disconnect the USB adapter from the XP computer and re-connect it, what happens?

What SP is on the XP computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
ShadowLP
Message 5 of 30 (11,168 Views)

I self tested twice and both worked.    I disconnected the USB adaptor no less than 5-6 times with the same results.   I am running SP3. 

I tried to completely back out and start all over but I was not allowed to delete the new USB port that was created when Windows XP identifed the cable. 

Also, I tried the new cable on my company laptop which also runs Win XP, SP3 with the same error results.

I was going to return the new cable until I saw your note about Win 7.  At worse case I can connect and reconnect the Parallel cable to run the printer with my desktop and use the new cable to connect the new laptop that is coming.  However, I would really like to run them both via USB.    thanks again for your input.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 6 of 30 (11,166 Views)

[ Edited ]

What happens if you connect the Adapter without being connected to the 6L?

You may also want to look at another adapter. (StarTech ICUSB1284)

I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
ShadowLP
Message 7 of 30 (11,161 Views)

[ Edited ]

I connected the cable without attaching and saw no response from the Dell.   Nothing good or bad.  I reconnected it to the printer with all the queues drained.  I sent a document to it and the document is sitting in the queue with a  "Printing" status.  I pressed the printer bar just under the status lights (front of printer) and it printed a test page. 

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 8 of 30 (11,153 Views)

Do you see a new USB device in the Device Manager?

I am not a HP employee.
Top Student
ShadowLP
Message 9 of 30 (11,148 Views)

Yes

Top Student
ShadowLP
Message 10 of 30 (11,145 Views)

I have checked all USB controllers, including the USB Adaptor cable and they all report that they are working properly.  I am running through the Device Manager troubleshooting steps now but so far all looks as if it is working properly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation