Question

Honor Student
DLOU
Message 1 of 15 (13,817 Views)

DEFAULT TO USING ONLY BLACK INK CARTRIDGE?

IS THERE A WAY TO SET THE PRINTER TO DEFAULT TO USING THE BLANK INK  CARTRIDGE ONLY, NOT THE OTHER COLORS TO MAKE BLACK? IF SO, WHAT STEPS SHOULD I TAKE TO DO THIS? THANKS

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 15 (13,805 Views)

Re: DEFAULT TO USING ONLY BLACK INK CARTRIDGE?

What printer model?  What operating system?  Which driver - HP or preinstalled with the OS?

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
dbristle
Message 3 of 15 (13,783 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same question for a 6380 printer, which apparently uses yellow in addition to black to print black.  Most of our printing is black only, and the yellow cartridge is being consumed disproportionately to the other colors. I cannot find a driver setting to make black just use black, and I don't understand why HP's black isn't black enough by itself.

We're runnng XP, the driver was loaded from the product CD, and has been recently updated over the web.

Edit:  I found the "Black ink only" option, which appears to only apply to grayscale printing.  If I choose the option "Print all text as black", when I am printing a color page with black text, apparently the black still uses yellow.  This suspicion is supported by the "black only" option changing back to "High Quality" when color printing is selected.  So now my question is can I set the printer for color and still have the black text print as black only?
Message Edited by dbristle on 03-09-2009 08:47 AM
Message Edited by dbristle on 03-09-2009 08:59 AM
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 15 (13,774 Views)

The printer mixes a small amount if yellow with the black ink to adjust the contrast/darkness of the black ink that is printed. This is done automatically, and cannot be disabled. It's done so that the printout is of the best quality, irrespective of the actual print quality option selected.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
bodasparky
Message 5 of 15 (13,765 Views)

We have a new J6480 and it appears to use more than yellow when printing in black.  Recently when the color cartridge ran low black print became red.  After replacing the color cartridge black became black again.  It appears we are using copius quantities of color ink to print a page with two lines of red print with the remaining page black.  I am not happy.
Student
Miss_Jean
Message 6 of 15 (12,537 Views)

I want to change the default so that it will not print color? I am using too much color ink apparently when I just want black printing.

Student
carlasuiza
Message 7 of 15 (12,202 Views)

I have an Officejet 7000 Wide Format printer with an HP-provided driver. I have been printing plain black CAD line drawings on A3 paper since I bought it 2 weeks ago. However, I just got a notification now that the cyan ink level is very low, so I checked the rest of the ink levels. All the colored (CMY) ink levels are below half already while the black is still 100% full! I want to use just the black in my future print outs. Please help!!

Honor Student
haireone
Message 8 of 15 (12,158 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a Office Jet 6500 E709n.  Same issue. When set to "grayscale, black only", I get some lines printed black, some brown with a yellow tinge.

Guess I really knew better than to buy an inkjet printer (cheap printer, expensive supplies) but I wanted the wireless feature. I don't need ,or want, to print color! Now it seems HP has figured out how to sell even more supplies that I don't want.

I didn't have to buy and mix different colors of ink to write black with my old fountain pen!

I spent 31 minutes talking to "Tony" @ tech support. I could almost understand him. He seemed to think that the solution to my problem was for him to "take control of my computer".  Huh? I don't think so...  Oh yeah, no supervisors available.

Guess I cross HP off my future purchase consideration list...

Student
nanababy123
Message 9 of 15 (9,406 Views)

i have a lexmark z2320. can anyone tell me if there is a way to use a black cartridge only? i don't want to have to even purchase a color cartridge. it's a waste of money.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 15 (9,397 Views)

[ Edited ]

nanababy123 wrote:

i have a lexmark z2320. can anyone tell me if there is a way to use a black cartridge only? i don't want to have to even purchase a color cartridge. it's a waste of money.

Most recent HP printers with integrated printheads allow printing in "backup mode" with one of the cartridges removed.  You might try printing with no color cartridge installed.  If this does not work I would suggest you ask the question in a Lexmark forum....

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation