Question

Top Student
tayrona
Message 1 of 19 (11,293 Views)

DJ 6980 ink lights are blinking even with new cartdriges

I use my Deskjet 6980 since 2 years: no problems till now. All of the sudden the colour ink light started blinking after having replaced the black cartridge. I unsuccessfully tried to clean first and then to replace the colour cartridge (original HP). So far I can't print the colours but only in black . Whatever I do the colour ink lamp keeps on blinking. Any idea how to sort out this problem?
Student
walkinon
Message 2 of 19 (11,144 Views)

Re: DJ 6980 ink lights are blinking even with new cartdriges

I have just recently encountered the exact same problem. I have a second printer, a Deskjet 6988, so I took the color cartridge to that printer and it works fine.  I also tried cleaning the contacts at the back of the color cartridge and the printer contacts in the slot.  Still flashs the left ink out light.  Does anyone have an idea what is wrong?
Honor Student
gregorykent
Message 3 of 19 (10,911 Views)

Good Morning,

I am having the same problem.  How did you solve the blinking light issue.  Thanks!  (Did anyone solve it!?!)

Honor Student
gregorykent
Message 4 of 19 (10,906 Views)

Were you able to solve the blinking light problem?

Thanks!

Honor Student
HPisREALLYSTUPI
Message 5 of 19 (10,874 Views)

this is a really stupid problem. i figured it out though, at least for my hp 6980. if you open the ink the slot where the ink cartridges go, you will see a metal pin that supports the cartridge to connect it properly to the printer. my problem was that the pin had gotten off of the plastic hinge that holds it up.. just be careful and hold the pin in place when you replace your cartridge to make sure it is connected properly. when you do this, it should print normally again.
Top Student
tayrona
Message 6 of 19 (10,904 Views)

Your hint was good indeed. I can fully share your judgment: it is a stupid problem: better, it is a stupid design. I looked into the slot and checked the metal pin. It was actually off of the plastic hinge but, more important, the loosen pin was likely pushed against the printed board behind during the insertion of the cartridge. As a result the printed circuit is now damaged (there is a hole in it) and the whole printer has to be scrapped, even if brand new. Because of a stupid and inexpensive metal pin a complete and still usable printer shall increase the electronic wastes; I already checked if the repair is feasible and/or available. So far it is not, but the fixed cost anticipated by the HP customer support for any maintenance intervention is higher than the value of a brand new printer. I thought the HP printers were by far the most reliable in the market, but I have changed my mind and purchased a new Samsung color laser printer.
Honor Student
HPisREALLYSTUPI
Message 7 of 19 (10,744 Views)

agreed. never again will i buy an HP printer.
Honor Student
Sparky2
Message 8 of 19 (10,297 Views)

Same STUPID problem.  Pin came loose and damaged board.  HP where are you?  This is an obvious design flaw.
Honor Student
Sparky2
Message 9 of 19 (10,290 Views)

I just spent an hour on the phone with HP.  They initially offered to give me a discounted replacement but I pointed out that this was a product flaw.  They agreed to send me a replacement printer. 

All companies occasionally have product problems.  Great companies acknowledge those problems and keep the customer satisfied.

I like the product.  I'm satisfied with the response.

Satisfied HP Customer

Top Student
tayrona
Message 10 of 19 (10,277 Views)

Excellent news! Unfortunately I'm in Italy and don't know if the local HP organisation has the same willingness to make a customer happy. Moreover I don't think to have the same patience you had on the phone for one hours. Anyhow I'll try. Thanks a lot for sharing your success story.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation