Question

Student
stuckinlakeside
Message 1 of 7 (18,370 Views)
Accepted Solution

Designjet 600 Plotter connected to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Will it work? HP sales says won't work.

I have an old Designjet 600 Plotter (model C2848A).  I have connected it to several new PCs over the years with great success (using different OS, Win 95, 98, etc..  It still works great using windows XP.  Now I have three new stations using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  HP sales tells me this plotter will no longer work with Windows 7 (and want to sell me a new plotter).  I find that hard to believe.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I was going to try buying a 36 pin parrallel to USB connector and just plug it into my new PCs.  But HP said it won't work so I have not tried.  I assume I would need a driver for that to work correctly.  Any suggestions???

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (18,288 Views)

Re: Designjet 600 Plotter connected to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Will it work? HP sales says won't wor

[ Edited ]

For 64 bit systems you can download the XP x64 drivers from here, then unzip the files into a new folder.  Next go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, select the proper port, then select "Have a Disk" and point to the folder where you unzipped the files. 

designjet 600.png

USB to Parallel converters can be problematic.  If you get one make sure it is supported on Windows 7 x64.  The models in the posts here have been indicated to work with W7 x64.

I do not know if the Designjet 600 has a slot for an optional jetdirect card, if so this may be a better option.  I picked up a suitable jetdirect card for my Designjet 650c on eBay for under $15 (shipping included) and have it running on the network here.

This forum is focused on consumer level products.  For the Designjet you may have better results posting in the HP Designjet forum here, the real Designjet experts hang out there.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
zundapp99
Message 3 of 7 (11,224 Views)

Re: Designjet 600 Plotter connected to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Will it work? HP sales says won't wor

[ Edited ]

My designjet 600 plotter is on another computer on the network. I just got a new computer with Windows 7.

I could not get the printer installed as a network printer by using "add a printer". When I selected the network printer WIndows would search windows update for a driver and didn't find one. Then would ask for and I would select the driver pl532en and Windows would say "cannot locate a suitable driver"

I finally found a way to work around the problem.

Go to add a printer.

Select local printer and use an existing port and select LPT1 (I don't have an LPT1 port).

When it asks for the driver, select have disk and browse to the folder with the Pl532en files and select the OEMSETUP.INF file.

Go thru the steps and select finish.

I was able to install the printer even though I didn't have a LPT1 port.

Now go to devices and printers. Select the Designjet printer you just installed. Right click it and select printer properties. Select the port tab. Select add new port. Enter the network address of the network printer. Mine was"\\slavecomp\HpJet600". Then selecting this printer allowed me to print to the Designjet 600 on my network. This should work for other older plotters.

zundapp99

Honor Student
bpfalcon704
Message 4 of 7 (7,049 Views)

Mr. Headrick,

Thanks for you help.  Your solution has saved me time, money and a whole lot of grief.

Have a great day.

B.Price, Waxhaw, NC

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 7 (7,039 Views)

bpfalcon704 wrote:

Mr. Headrick,

Thanks for you help.  Your solution has saved me time, money and a whole lot of grief.

Have a great day.

B.Price, Waxhaw, NC

bpfalcon704 wrote:

Mr. Headrick,

Have a great day.

B.Price, Waxhaw, NC

Glad I could help.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
bigboss408
Message 6 of 7 (4,816 Views)

mr headrick

i have a win 8 computer and i have also the designjet 600 .how do mi get thius to work?

Honor Student
bigboss408
Message 7 of 7 (4,809 Views)

I HAVE A DJ600,IT RUNS THRU A SERVER AND IS CONNECTED INTO A PARRALLEL 3 PORT HP DIRECTJET HUB
IT WAS WORKING ON A WIN XP COMPUTER AND I JUST UPDATED MY COMPUTER TO WIN 8.1.
THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL THE DRIVER FOR XP7 IT COMES UP WITH
PRINTER DRIVER NOT INSTALLED
THE HASH FOR THIS FILE IS NOT PRESENT IN THE SPECIFIED CATALOG FILE THIS FILE IS LIKELY CORRUPT OR THE VICTIM OF TAMPERING.
I’V DISABLED THE DRIVERS AUTHENTICATION.
I’VE TRIED AN ADAPTER usb to parallel CABLE
I’VE TRIED SETTING IT UP AS A LOCAL PRINTER BUT CAN’T GET PAST THAT PRINTER DRIER NOT INSTALL POINT

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation