Question

Honor Student
sleepingcatt
Message 1 of 3 (976 Views)
Accepted Solution

DeskJet 5740 Does Not Print

This printer has worked flawlessly for the past six years. Suddenly, it just stopped printing. No degrading of quality. Just one day it was fine, and the next, zip. The paper loads, it sounds like its printing, but there's absolutely nothing on the paper when it comes out. The ink reservoir indicators are not lit as they would be if it were out of ink. Indeed, absolutely everything about the device looks and sounds normal -- except now it doesn't print.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (961 Views)

Re: DeskJet 5740 Does Not Print

If the printer had been disconnected from power before the cartridges were properly parked they could have clogged printheads.  Try gently blotting the printheads on a damp tissue.  for black there should be two strong blots of black ink, the color should show strong blots of cyan, magenta and yellow.  If there are only weak blots then try up to three cleaning cycles from the toolbox.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
sleepingcatt
Message 3 of 3 (946 Views)

Re: DeskJet 5740 Does Not Print

I like it when solutions are simple. That's all it was! Lesson learned. Thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation