Deskjet 4500 won't recognize new cartridges (1003 Views)
Honor Student
froglady7
Message 1 of 4 (1,003 Views)

Deskjet 4500 won't recognize new cartridges

My Deskjet has been working perfectly until late last week, when it informed me my color ink was empty.  Fine, easy fix, ordered new black and color cartridges from HP.  They were delivered yesterday and I installed them.  They are installed properly, I've checked over and over.  Clicked and everything.  Now my printer says BOTH cartridges are empty.

I've checked the print queue for "stuck" documents.  I've taken the cartridges out and put them in again.  I've turned the printer off and then on again (5 minutes later).  I've unplugged the thing for 5 minutes and re-plugged it in.  Still says no ink.

I'm running Windows 7 on a wireless network, but somehow I don't think the software is the problem, especially since the printer error only concerns the ink level and the printer worked until I tried to feed it new ink. 

Please help...I'm getting rather frustrated here.  My nearly-80-year-old mom prints everything under the sun and she's impatient to have her printer back. 

PhD Student
CaptainTJ
Message 2 of 4 (944 Views)

Re: Deskjet 4500 won't recognize new cartridges

HI,

You didn't give any of the blinking lights scenario that is occurring, but I am thinking that cleaning the cartridge cradle and also cleaning the cartridge contacts might be the solution.  Go to this document Blinking Lights and scroll down to expand the section "the attentions light, and one or both of the Ink level indicator lights blink, scroll down in this section to Solution 5 (Clean the cartridges and inside the All-in-One).  Follow the steps in order. 

See if that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
RobInBoston
Message 3 of 4 (902 Views)

Same problem here.   Printer says that the black cartridge is empty, even though it's new.  I spent an hour on the phone with (largely clueless) HP support last night, who said that the problem is a faulty "print head," so they need to replace the entire machine--but only with a refurbished one.    

Intern
umarco
Message 4 of 4 (895 Views)

hi

there are 2 possible causes of this problem either the priter itself or the new cartridge is faulty.

call the technical support line they can replace the new cartridge if found faulty

- hope my suggestions help you -

+++ SHARE SOME KUDOS +++
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation