Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm having trouble with the lid not closing on my Deskjet 6988.

I just changed the ink cartridges, but the lid refuses to come down all the way -- it gets stuck about half an inch short of actually closing.  Both ink cartridges are firmly in place with the little snappers shut over them, so I know that's not the problem.  I've periodically had this problem before, but this time it seems to be jammed for good.  Sometimes, when I close the lid very very slowly it will go all the way down, but this time it won't.  As far as I can tell, there's no rhyme or reason why the lid will close with no problems some times, and other times will refuse to close.  I've even tried turning off the power and turning it back on, which sometimes works, but again nothing seems to fix it this time.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?  I have some stuff that really needs printing out soon, but in its current state my printer may as well be a very large paperweight with blinking lights.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Check out this link.  It helped me figure out what the problem was.  It could help on your model.

Here is the link that helped with the problem:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam e=c01065334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=385458

Good Luck

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have posted a similar question titled "deskjet 6840 door open".

Whatever you do don't force the door closed.  I did this and now the printer thinks the door is permanently open.

Hopefully someone will have an answer to this issue.  Good Luck

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  Although it's not a problem I'd wish on anybody, it is comforting to know that someone else had a similar problem.  If I can't sort this out in the do-it-yourself fashion, I'm really going to have to contact HP customer support because in its current state it's totally unusable.  Ironic -- it's a very good printer apart from this strange mechanical fault.  Easily the best printer I've ever owned.

HP Recommended

Check out this link.  It helped me figure out what the problem was.  It could help on your model.

Here is the link that helped with the problem:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam e=c01065334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=385458

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Well, I finally tackled it today.  Took the side door off (which took some doing) and saw that the sensor latch wasn't sliding up into the notch when the hinge was closing.  One little push and presto, the printer is now working as it did before.  Many, many thanks for that wonderful link!  I was afraid this printer was a goner, but the solution turned out to be rather simple.  Just as a precaution, though, I'm leaving that side door off permanently!

HP Recommended

I am happy to hear it worked for you.  I have seen similar printers in thrift stores and wondered why.  I'll bet they had a similar problem and thought it would be cheaper to buy a new one than paying to have it repaired and ended up donating it to charity.:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

I have noticed, though, that since fixing it, the printer still thinks it's low on ink, despite there being a new black ink cartridge in there (and functioning).  I guess the poor thing got all confused when I wiggled that flippybopper.  Ah well.  I'm just happy it's working at all!

HP Recommended

I have a 3310 Photosmart all in one printer whose lid will not close.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

The lid on my unit - 3210 photosmart all in one - will not close  -  it is jammed all the way open - grrrrrrr.  Please help!!!  =\

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.