Question

Honor Student
desertlady814
Message 1 of 7 (1,300 Views)

Deskjet 845c only printing black & magenta, no other colors

I recently installed a new in the box Deskjet 845c that I'd had stored for about 5 years.  I put in new ink cartridges at that time.  Black text prints fine, but when I try to print anything in color (such as a photo or a green-text document) it comes out only in magenta.  I've aligned the print heads and cleaned the nozzles to no avail. I have no idea what I might be overlooking.  I desperately need to print some brochures and photos, so any insight and help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (1,291 Views)

Re: Deskjet 845c only printing black & magenta, no other colors

Most likely you need a fresh color cartrdige.  Check the "Install by" date on the cartridge package if you still have them or the warranty date as shown here.  You can verify it is the cartridge by gently blotting the printhead on a damp tissue, you will find only a stripe of magenta rather than the correct cyan, magenta and yellow.  While you may have some success in recovering the cartrdige by soaking the printhead in 1" of hot water for 15 minutes or putting the cartridge in an old sock with the printhear in the toe, then going outside and spinning rapidly about your head the real solution is a fresh color cartridge.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
desertlady814
Message 3 of 7 (1,275 Views)

Hi Bob, and thank you for your response. The new cartridge I installed is definitely not date-expired.

I blotted the printhead on a moist tissue.  On the first blot, other colors appeared.  However, on subsequent blots, it only came out magenta.  I soaked the printhead in hot water for 15 minutes, too, as per your suggestion.

Now I need to ask how I go about drying the cartridge, and for how long, so it is sufficiently dry to re-install in the printer.

Once I have this information, I will try again to see if I can print anything in color.  Failing that, I will attempt the sock suggestion.

Thanks again!

Warm regards. . .

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (1,273 Views)

Now just wipe the contact area with a dry tissue and then try blotting the printhead on a damp tissue as before.  Reinstall the cartridge in the printer and try printing a test page.  The first few pages may have weak color as the ink will be a bit watered down at first.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
desertlady814
Message 5 of 7 (1,263 Views)

Hello Bob,

I re-installed the printhead in my printer and printed a test page of a green frog,  At first he came out yellow, but on the next printing, he was green.  I was elated!  I added a few lines of colored text, which printed fine, too.  Then as I printed successive pages, the frog went back to being yellow and the lines of test turned to magenta, which color I am coming to loathe!

I cleaned the printheads and primed them, to no avail.  So, I was wondering if you think your sock technique might help at this point.

Thanks so much for your patience and continuing support ~ it is appreciated!

Regards....

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 7 (1,252 Views)

At this point you have nothing to lose.  Be careful with the sock, do not hit anything.

Honor Student
desertlady814
Message 7 of 7 (1,167 Views)

Bob . . . Just wanted to take this opportunity to give you a huge "THANK YOU" for all your help!  I've been away and haven't tried the sock suggestion yet, but will shortly.  I have a hunch I'm just going to need to buy a new cartridge.

Keep up the great work!

Warm regards,

Ellen :smileytongue:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation