Question

Student
ewocit
Message 1 of 15 (3,415 Views)

Deskjet D4160 goes "offline" when I try to print.

I'm using an HP deskjet D4160 on Windows XP and when I try to print the printer goes offline (according to Windows) and the power light and paper feed light blink back and forth. Everything is properly connected and both ink cartridges have been replaced since the problems started to occur. I've also tried reinstalling the driver. I've been trying to fix this problem for a while now, but to no avail. What could be a real fix for this issue?

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 15 (3,387 Views)

Re: Deskjet D4160 goes "offline" when I try to print.

Try the Print Diagnostic Utility at this location:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02114788&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=501857

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Student
Palak
Message 3 of 15 (3,372 Views)

I am having HP deskjet F 380 printer. It goes offline

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 4 of 15 (3,329 Views)

Did you try the Print Diagnostic Utility?

007OHMSS

Top Student
longly6000
Message 5 of 15 (1,618 Views)

I have used that Print Diagonistic Utility and it said everything is find with the printer but the printer still goes offline at random times during the day

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 6 of 15 (1,610 Views)

Okay, so update me on your environment please. Deskjet D4160? Operating system XP? Wireless connection? Firewall/security/anti-virus software?

007OHMSS

Top Student
longly6000
Message 7 of 15 (1,587 Views)

The printer is connect via USB, it is in a Windows XP pro environment using Service Pack 3. 2Gb of memory DDR2. The user is in a Domain Server environment and the user does not have Admin rights. When the printer goes OFFline I ususally have to log in as an Admin and restart the printer spooler service for it to start printing the documents.

I hope this works any more information you  need please let me know

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 8 of 15 (1,575 Views)

First thing I would do in an environment like that, is to have the IT department ensure that the installation and network setup are completely correct. It would be impossible to tell what is going on from this end in a situation like that. There are so many things involved with communication to a printer in a Domain Server Environment.

007OHMSS

Top Student
longly6000
Message 9 of 15 (1,569 Views)

The network is ok. the printer is connected via USB. I am sorry if I didnt say that. The printer goes offline randomly and when I restart the printer spooler it goes back to the ready state. Also to note the first document to print prints really slow and then the rest prints normal.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 10 of 15 (1,565 Views)

Looking through the manual for that printer, it occurred to me that there could be something to do with the USB connection, not the most likely possibility, but not something to overlook either. Found this excerpt from that printer manual:

Check the printer cable connection
If your printer and computer are connected with a USB cable and the devices are not
communicating with each other, try the following:
● Make sure the power cord is firmly connected to the printer and plugged into a power
outlet.
● Check the USB cable. If you are using an older cable, it might not be working
properly. If you experience problems, the USB cable might need to be replaced. Also
verify that the cable does not exceed 3 meters (9.8 feet) in length.
● Check the connection from your printer to your computer. Verify that the USB cable
is securely plugged into the USB port on the back of your printer. Make sure the
other end of the USB cable is plugged into a USB port on your computer. After the
cable is connected properly, turn your printer off and then on again.
● If you are connecting the printer through a USB hub, make sure the hub is turned
on. If the hub is on, try connecting the printer directly to your computer.
● Try connecting the USB cable to another USB port on your computer. After you
check the connections, try restarting your computer. Turn your printer off and then
on again.
Note For best printing performance, use a USB 2.0 compatible cable.

007OHMSS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation