Question

Intern
LtCol
Message 1 of 4 (6,845 Views)
Accepted Solution

Downloaded Printer Updates with .exe endings

How can I examine a Printer Update  file (which was downloaded with an .exe ending) to see what its contents are or what sub-routines it contains ?  

One of them that I received by following a blue link, bragged: “it provides more than just Drivers; it provides ‘Full Feature software,’ as well:”

• It was identified as: DJ2050_J510_1313.exe 1.4.1926.0 1/1 download size: 48.65 MB Version 28.8 Released 2012-10-22 and it fits both HP Deskjet 2050 Series J510a and J510c models. After installing it, I had to take it back off my Computer because all it did was totally ruin the HP Attendant” Program which I had routinely used to check my Ink-Levels. I had to run my HP Deskjet 2050 J510 Series Printer Installation Disk all over again to get it back.

I still possess the file and I still want to see what's in it. [ Why? -- There's supposed to be a modern "Toolbox.exe" Program somewhere out there to check Ink-Levels. I already have such a program but mine is from the Installation Disk of the psc 1210 dated 2002 inside the Program HP Director; it also was included unchanged on the Installation Disk for the Deskjet 2050 in 2009. ] 

My Windows 7, 64-bit Computer and a Program Free File Reader cannot read an .exe file to reveal its contents and I am not “hacker” enough to keep it from “Installing” when I try it. I just get a Box asking: Do You Want To RUN this file? For obvious reasons, I am not going to RUN and install it again.

Is there some Program that will let me inventory the Program's contents the same as if examining the files and sub-files on a Disk ?  LtCol

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (6,789 Views)

Re: Downloaded Printer Updates with .exe endings

I would suggest the following: run the file, which will extract it.  After extracting the files Windows will prompt to ask if it OK for this file to make changes to your computer.  Respond No, this will cancel the installation but will leave the files in a temp directory.

Next click Start and in the search box type %temp%.  This will bring up a Temp folder, click on it.  Next click at the top to sort by date and look for a folder starting with 7z that was created today.  That is the folder tree where the driver was expanded, you can look through this to peruse the contents.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Intern
LtCol
Message 3 of 4 (6,777 Views)

22,  cracked like a true "Hacker."  I now have both the version cited above and the extracted version called "Temp" (with the name changed to "DJ2050J5101313Extracted)," as well. Yours was the best Forum answer I have gotten all year. Thanks a million. This was a Full Solution ! 

Sigh !  But,  I just couldn't find: (1)  a "toolbox.exe" that would check my ink-levels (the cited download destroys "HP Printer Assistant" which does do the ink-levels check);  (2) Also,  I didn't find any late  OCR Scanning sub-routines to "borrow" and put on my  64-bit Computer to replace those from the  Microsoft Program XP Home "HP Director" (that won't work, as is, on a 64-bit Computer); and  (3) I didn't find "H-P Solution Center" that was supposed to replace "HP Director," as well. 

I wonder what it really contained (besides Drivers) ?

Intern
LtCol
Message 4 of 4 (6,774 Views)

Dear Headrick: Sorry but the answer box chopped off my beginning. Here goes again. Thanks for the really fast solution. The download DJ 2050_J510_1313.exe 1.4.1926.0 1/1 48.65 MB Version 28.8 First released 2012-10-22  (see rest of message)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation