Duplex Printing with Deskjet 9800 (900 Views)
Honor Student
jgg1121
Message 1 of 4 (900 Views)

Duplex Printing with Deskjet 9800

I Bought a Deskjet 9800 and then ordered the appropriate Duplex UNit.  The duplexunit was working very well until about 2 months ago. However, after my system crashed and had to reinstall Vista Ultimate.  I have tried to go through the configuration process and change the system with the settings that we have the Duplex unit installed but the memory does not retain such instructions. 

How can I solve this problem?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 4 (893 Views)

Re: Duplex Printing with Deskjet 9800

If you do the change just before you print a document, then change will be applied for that print job only. But if you change the settings by opening your Printers folder, then right clicking on the printer icon and selecting 'Printing Preferences', then the changes made here will be saved as the default settings. Have you tried this?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
jgg1121
Message 3 of 4 (870 Views)

I tried what yousuggested but it does not work.  I printed a diagnostic page and it shopws that the duplexer is installed but can't get the printer touse the function except manually.  That is not convenient.  Does anybody have another solution?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 4 (859 Views)

Go to the printers folder, right click on the 9800, Run as Administrator, Properties, (continue), Device Settings, Installable Options, Duplex unit - set to installed, Apply, Security, (allow all appropriate users ability to print, manage printers and manage print queue), Apply, General, Properties, (set appropriate defaults),Apply,  Advanced, Printing Preferences, set appropriate settings, OK.

For proper operation of the duplexer you may also need the duplexer patch available as described here.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation